Help with Nikon D100

Westone

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I’m having a problem with my new Nikon D100. I don’t seem to be able to use my AI manual focus lens with the camera. What I’m trying to do is get the camera set up so I can pick the F-stop and focus the lens manually. When I switch the focus dial to M, the rest of the camera will not function. I do have several lens that are auto focus, and they work well, except when the auto focus says things are in focus, the view finder image is not in focus. It’s just a little off. When using the manual focus lens I am able to get a fine focus look through the view finder. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Chuck

When I switch the focus dial to M, the rest of the camera will not function.
Define "will not function".

I do have several lens that are auto focus, and they work well, except when the auto focus says things are in focus, the view finder image is not in focus. It’s just a little off. When using the manual focus lens I am able to get a fine focus look through the view finder.
Have you adjusted the viewfinder diopter?

Adjusted eyepeice .... No! I will and I thank you for the heads up. Once I set the Camera and lens to M I can use the camera. What I'm looking for is to let the camera set the speed, while set the f-stop. This will allow me to use my AI lens.
Chuck

Adjusted eyepeice .... No! I will and I thank you for the heads up. Once I set the Camera and lens to M I can use the camera. What I'm looking for is to let the camera set the speed, while set the f-stop. This will allow me to use my AI lens.
Chuck

The D100 will not meter with non-cpu lenses (lenses without a digital cpu-connection)... you can shoot in manual mode, but you have to "guess and check" the exposure.

The d200, d300, d3, and d700 allow for TTL metering with non-cpu lenses.

That sucks! The only reason I bought the D100 was because I have a room full of Nikon AI gear. F2, F3, FM, N65 and now the D100. I do alot of macro work and without the ability to use lens I'm used to I'm over a barrel. So I need a D200 ...... Grrrrrr.
Chuck

That sucks! The only reason I bought the D100 was because I have a room full of Nikon AI gear. F2, F3, FM, N65 and now the D100. I do alot of macro work and without the ability to use lens I'm used to I'm over a barrel. So I need a D200 ...... Grrrrrr.
Chuck

Bummer... although, with macro shots, since your subject's usually stationary, you can usually get away with chimping. (looking at the lcd, then making adjustments). I have to do that with my d70 and some older lenses of mine. It's only "slightly" annoying..

Chuck

Hmmm... you can use the lenses... you just can't meter the light. But with a digital, it's not to hard to guess, check, and adjust--heck you may even learn a bit more about exposure. ;)

A D200 will cost you about $400 more then what you can sell your d100 for. But it's a worthy upgrade, its improvements over the d100 are too many to list.

I think I need to ask some kind person to help me with the digital thing. It is my understanding that the Pixel count has a great deal to do with picture sharpness and therefore the maximum size a print can be obtained. I see the D1X has 5 or so meg. P. The D100 has more. Is this saying that the D100 can render a larger print? I've heard from another photographer that the D1X transends that rule. So ..... now to the meat of the help. I've been a film photographer for 30 + years, most of my print sizes are in the 16X20" range. How many Meg. Pics. do I need to get a sharp image at 16X20". (I'm still missing my old Panatomic _ X ASA-25 B&W film) Any help would be greatly apprciated. Thank you.
Chuck

Got a D1X and all my problems are solved. Not enough looking around on my part. Thanks to all for the input.
Chuck

Most reactions

New Topics

Back