What's new

Nikon D750 Autofocus Fine Tuning Question

Lonnie1212

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Sep 17, 2019
Messages
455
Reaction score
126
Location
Springfield, Illinois
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For the first time in 10 years I have started to look to look into Auto Focus Fine tuning and calibrating a lens. I have never had a noticeable problem with focusing issues with the Nikon D750 and Nikkor 18-35mm lens combination. But I went into the setup menu looked at the settings. The value was set at "0". I changed the setting values from +1 to +10 and took 10 pictures and look at the quality of each picture. The quality of the pictures got progressively worse as the setting numbers moved up. I reset the value at ZERO at left it.

Am I okay to just leave the Fine Focus Tuning alone? Does anyone else have an opinion about this tool? I have heard about people Fine Tuning and Calibrating lenses. When is it necessary?

Thank you,

Lonnie
 
I can only see using to for fast glass wide open where good enough for the camera isn't. I'm sure there are other reasons. I'd leave it be until there's a genuine problem that needs addressing.
 
For the first time in 10 years I have started to look to look into Auto Focus Fine tuning and calibrating a lens. I have never had a noticeable problem with focusing issues with the Nikon D750 and Nikkor 18-35mm lens combination. But I went into the setup menu looked at the settings. The value was set at "0". I changed the setting values from +1 to +10 and took 10 pictures and look at the quality of each picture. The quality of the pictures got progressively worse as the setting numbers moved up. I reset the value at ZERO at left it.

Am I okay to just leave the Fine Focus Tuning alone? Does anyone else have an opinion about this tool? I have heard about people Fine Tuning and Calibrating lenses. When is it necessary?

Thank you,

Lonnie
"The value was set at "0". I changed the setting values from +1 to +10 and took 10 pictures and look at the quality of each picture. The quality of the pictures got progressively worse as the setting numbers moved up. I reset the value at ZERO at left it."
You answered your your own question.
 
I had a D7000 that had back focus issues. For each of my lenses I had to 1st lay out a measuring tape on the table, mount the camera on a tripod and shoot at a specific mark in the middle of the tape at roughly a 45 degree angle. I shot at a target spot with the lens wide open. In most cases my camera focused about an inch behind the target. I had to adjust all my AF-S lenses to around -5. The screw drive AF lenses however, needed no adjustment. Go figure.
 
Those adjustments are for back or front focus problems. I had a Nikon D7000 that would focus behind where you wanted it to do and it wasn't the same with all my lenses. I noticed it first with my 105mm f/2.8 micro nikkor. I stretched out a tape measure, opened the aperture to f/2.8, and focused on a certain inch mark at a 45 degree angle (more or less). This revealed that it was focusing behind where I wanted it too. I then started taking several shots with the with each shot -1 more than the last and then selecting the best one and saving that setting for that particular lens. If you are not experiencing any focusing problems then "it ain't broke, don't fix it".
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom