Help with pictures

daddyCreswell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just got my Nikon D3200, I thought I was shooting RAW, find out that it was RAW+JPEG, not sure that made a difference or not, but this morning when I tried to open the pictures in (I'm using GIMP) the pictures are 160*200, they are tiny. What happen? When I tried to scale the image the pixels are distorted. The file is showing as a NEF.

LOL! That worked pretty well!

NEF files are raw files. They probably have a JPEG thumbnail embedded since the camera shows you a JPEG when you look at the monitor, and your PC will want a JPEG too, unless you have a raw CODEC installed.

Didn't you get a raw converter with your camera?

Yep, you are seeing the JPEG thumbnail that has to be embedded in a Raw file so there is a photo to show on the camera's rear LCD.
A Raw file isn't a photograph until it has been opened in a Raw converter.

GIMP does not have a Raw converter. You need to get a Eaw convertert - like IrfanView or Raw Therapee
As mentioned the Nikon View NX that came with your camera includes a Raw Converter.

FWIW - a NEF Raw file opened in View NX will look somewhat different than the same NEF file opened in some other Raw converter.
The same NEF file opened in IrfanView and Lightroom will also look somewhat different.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back