help with these portraits

manda

instigator of pottymouthedness
Reaction score
Website
www.lyptonvillage.org
Digital BW really frustrates me and I have a good camera.
Im craving film right now but these are some portraits I just took playing around in the backyard.
This isn't as sharp as I'd hoped.

harrisonapril.sized.jpg

harrysun.sized.jpg

kelharrysun.sized.jpg

I really am struggling with what I'm able to do with portraits with this camera.'They look washed out or something. :/

i dont know sweetheart, i think they look fine...i always like a bit more contrast, but thats just me...

md

manda said:
Digital BW really frustrates me and I have a good camera.
Im craving film right now but these are some portraits I just took playing around in the backyard.
This isn't as sharp as I'd hoped.
I'm guessing you are using the b&w feature on your digital camera. It's a nice convenience but you'll get better results from photoshop. If you are using photoshop try playing around with the settings. Voodoo wrote a good tutorial in the graphics tutorial section.

As for sharpness, most digital cameras produce softer pictures as default. You can change that by finding the sharpness setting in your camera. As with b&w it's better to do it photoshop instead because you have more control and a better range of sharpness. Although doing it in camera is better than nothing and you may like the results.

If you don't have photoshop or don't want to use it then playing around with your digital camera's settings would be the next option. The newer generations of digital cameras are adding more photoshop-like features in camera. For example, some cameras let you change the hue, tone, saturation, etc.

If your digital camera doesn't have those options then you have to change your environment. That's something I had to constantly do with my Toshiba because it had almost no options. I had to make sure things like lighting was perfect or play with the limited options on my Toshiba.

But since it's digital you have the advantage of taking several test shots in order to see if you got the right conditions. It's just something I always do no matter what digital camera I use. It's the same thing as film photographers using Poloroid instant cameras to take instant test shots to see how their shots will turn out. I don't know if your digital can do this but some allow you to zoom in on the picture in the LCD preview screen to make sure every detail is the way you want it. That way you can retake the picture if needed.

Also take several similar composition shots with different settings to see which one works the best. After awhile you'll learn which settings are best used in which condition.

I really am struggling with what I'm able to do with portraits with this camera.'They look washed out or something. :/
If your pictures are getting washed out you should try underexposing your shots by a setting or two. If that doesn't work then moving yourself or subjects in different positions towards the sun or in shade might work. One of the most useful feature missing from most non-SLR digital cameras is a meter.

Without a meter you have to take several trial & error pictures to get the exposure correct. Since it's digital just keep shooting until you get the exposure right on your LCD screen. What also helps is if you can adjust the brightness on your LCD screen to match the same exposure on your monitor. Some camera's LCD screens are too bright which gives you the wrong impression.

Sorry this post was so long. Hope that I have helped you in some way.

Most reactions

Back