Help with which lens i should use.

annie001

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi there,

I am wanting some advice on what lens is best to shoot photography like this.

Wren Photo Commercial

I love the style, and am interested in learning more about how to achieve this. Any advise would be great. Thanks!

A lot of those shots could be made with a nifty fifty. But I feel like some of those may be employing the use of a wide-angle lens. Why not email the site owner and ask?

^ Disagree. Most pros I know woould be shooting somewhere in the 85-135mm range.
how to achieve this.
The lens is only one part of the equation. Learn lighting.

Very few pros use a "nifty fifty".

Based on the photographs, I believe multiple lenses were used ranging from wide angle to telephoto. The bokeh of the 3rd looks different from other as well. The style you are talking about has nothing to do with the lens.

plenty of pro's use a 50mm...thats a weird thing to say :/ .

I would agree. Maybe not as much for sports but for portraits, certainly.

^ Disagree. Most pros I know woould be shooting somewhere in the 85-135mm range.
how to achieve this.
The lens is only one part of the equation. Learn lighting.

Very few pros use a "nifty fifty".

really?
its a great portrait focal length. especially on a DX body.
good on FX for 2-3 people.

plenty of pro's use a 50mm...thats a weird thing to say :/ .
True, but not as a first choice for portraits. Use a 50 mm when there just isn't enough room to get further from a subject so you can use a longer focal length.

Plus most of the inexpensive, or nifty-fifty 50mm lenses don't deliver professional grade image quality.

"Nifty Fifty" refers specifically to the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II. Most pros I know would use the EF 50mm f/1.2L.

As far as the above link, for some reason I originally was only able to view the first the two photos. The focal length of the first is quite different that of the gentleman on the escalator. The first is much flatter than some of the other photos that I am now able to view which seem to be shot at various focal lengths. Keep in mind using a 50mm for portrait work will give you a much different look than a 200mm. Hope this clears up the confusion on both issues.

Exploring How Focal Length Affects Images

Most reactions

Back