Help....

PNA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As you can see, along the top of the photo the outline of the roses is very poor and sharp. I put the background in a layer using the magic wand at 25 and feather radius at 5 and painted it black.

What do I need to blend the background layer with the roses and not get the sharpness/halo in the outline????

Thanks for any help.......

7985-RosescopyTPF.jpg

this is going to seem like a silly question... but why not just shoot it with a black backdrop?

sorry, but i'm not taht good at ps to help u :(

I would use a layer mask and a soft brush to touch up the edges.

meotter said:
this is going to seem like a silly question... but why not just shoot it with a black backdrop?

sorry, but i'm not taht good at ps to help u :(

That would have been the very smart thing to do, but now it's too late. The photo was shot a month ago.

Philip....I followed you suggestions and this is what I got....

7985-RosesCropTPF.jpg

I can post the original in jpg and let you have a shot at it. It's orignally in NEF.

Thanks for the help!

acsonpg said:
That would have been the very smart thing to do, but now it's too late. The photo was shot a month ago.

Thanks for the help!

acsonpg, I'm not clear as to what you are trying to accomplish.
If you're trying to select a clean cutout in order to copy/paste it onto a background, you should be using another method of selection. Nothing beats the pen tool for accuracy. If you still have the original, there is a really dramatic way to accomplish getting your roses on the black background. If you're interrested, I'll create a tutorial for you. I hope you don't mind my taking the liberty of editing your image.

If you want to clean up a less-than-accurate selection, it's not really difficult. Here's an example of cleanup....
70485292.jpg

1. Dupe the original layer
2. Create a new layer. Move it below the duped layer. Fill the new layer with black
3. Make the duped layer active.
4. Select the pen tool. Make a selection of the halo and some of the black background that surrounds it.
5. Feather the selection (I used 1 pixel on this image)
6. Press delete key to delete the selected area.

"The Pen Tool Rules!"

acsonpg said:

7985-RosesCropTPF.jpg

I can post the original in jpg and let you have a shot at it. It's orignally in NEF.

Thanks for the help!

It looks like you "expanded" not contracted, as the exact opposite occurred, but it's definitely the simplist way to do it. Post it if you like and I will have a go at it. Philip.:mrgreen:

acsonpg said:

7985-RosesCropTPF.jpg

Thanks for the help!

It looks like you "expanded" not contracted, as the exact opposite occurred, but it's definitely the simplist way to do it. Post it if you like and I will have a go at it. Philip.:mrgreen:

acsonpg said:

7985-RosesCropTPF.jpg

Thanks for the help!

acsonpg said:

7985-RosesCropTPF.jpg

Thanks for the help!

It looks like you "expanded" not contracted, but post the original if you like and I'll go through it for you. Philip.

Philip Weir said:
As "Remi M" suggested. Use the roses as a layer, modify the image, [contract] by, say 3 pixels, feather by say 1 pixel, inverse and delete. Trust this makes sense. I use an APPLE, but should be the same on PC.

Phillip, your method of fixing this image is a great solution and it cuts way down on the work flow. I prefer your method.

PS: acsonpg, I forgot to mention how lovely your image is.

Here’s the original…….they were for my wife on our anniversary.

Please OTE, I still can’t seem to get it right. And thanks for the comments and help.

7985-RailsOrig3TPF.jpg

GOT IT!!! :D

I expanded and feathered twice with different values… and viola!

Tell me what you think.....

Many thanks.

7985-Roses3TPF.jpg

I’m extremely pleased with the ease and the results ….thanks to your instructions; they're now written in stone!

Paul

Most reactions

Back