Here goes nothing. First photo with DSLR. C&C please.

sinceday1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Really though, *nooblet* posting his photos for the first time.. and taking it for the first time on DSLR as well!
Christmas eve... Girlfriend wanted to stroll around downtown (shopping). With sturdy camera bag on my shoulder, wanting to take a mediocre attempt to grasp moment of nature, I reluctanly agreed on her last minute shopping suggestion...

1) Eau Claire market.. Thought this was a rather interesting 'posture' the pole has against the building afar (red)
3134292547_38b5c79381_b.jpg

2)
3135114474_097bdd8563_b.jpg

3) Really really wished the light post was on the opposite end of the frame and shadow casting towards the middle of the photo.. but.. can't really change that!
3135114342_d05be84967_b.jpg

4) Frozen River.
3134292123_a7bb5c189d_b.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice photos! If i had to offer c&c, which i don't, but i will anyway,
1. great color, you caught a nice moment
2. the composition is a little uninteresting to me, why am i looking at these two statues facing each other (?) but good exposure and lighting
3. not very interesting to me.
4. this is my favorite, the clouds and the angle of the river make my eyes want to stay on the picture, and the tracks in the snow give it a story.

I like them, but in general they look a little dark to me (except 2 and maybe 1)

congrats on the dslr, i'm new to it myself (about 3 weeks or so)

i agree. 4 is my favourite and 3 sort of looks like a snapshot. for number 2 i like where you were going with it, but i think it could be done more creatively

haha Thanx Eldrich and david

2)..
I really really dont know why i took this photo.
GF was playing around the statue pretending to pick the nose off the man on right...
so this is cropped photo AFTER she was done with it.
(of course i caught her in the midst of her act as well)

3) yeah this i found very boring as well.. This actually was taken on the day i purchsed the camera (23rd), just stepped outside for a smoke and just took a snap shot.

Yes, you're welcome. I find that I like shooting statues, but it is much more difficult than it seems like it should be. The lighting is difficult, and you're so stuck in the composition because the thing is usually literally bolted to the ground in one place, but they are so beautiful it seems like there should be so many nice pics available!

also, i think 2 would be a little more interesting if it were focused on the face of the left face, rather than the ear of the statue on the right...

check out DSLR ROOKIE

if you just got your camera and you wanna know how the settings work

Most reactions

New Topics

Back