First time posting photos - C&C please

ToddB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.autocrossforum.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, not technically my first time, but I don't count those pictures of that lizard from some months back.

Anyway, here are a few shots that I showed off to my Basic Digital Photography for DSLRs class that I just completed. I felt the class was definately worth the money (US$80) and it shows from my photos before the class compared to those during and after.

There isn't much in the way of post processing. I haven't really tried to learn much there. Just a little brightening of the photos is all.

The first few are from Pullen Park here in Raleigh

DSC_0721edited.jpg

DSC_0669edited.jpg

DSC_0715edited.jpg

DSC_0652edited.jpg

A couple from downtown Raleigh
DSC_0864edited.jpg

DSC_0838edited.jpg

DSC_0767editedBW.jpg

These are from the Sandblast Rally in South Carolina
DSC_0325edited.jpg

DSC_0361edited.jpg

DSC_0388edited.jpg

And a couple of miscellaneous photos that I like
11. (This Cemetary is between an Exxon and a shopping center)
DSC_0819edited.jpg

DSC_0064edited.jpg

DSC_0061edited.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Good start
The last two are the most interesting but most of the shots look a little blurry/unsharp.

Why such slow shutter speeds?

I wonder if the blurryness is a photobucket thing. They look basicaly sharp in full size and in the 4x6s that I had printed.

Can anybody comment on the technical aspects of my photos?

I wonder if the blurryness is a photobucket thing. They look basicaly sharp in full size and in the 4x6s that I had printed.

Can anybody comment on the technical aspects of my photos?

photobucket just stores what you uploaded.
my guess is that you downsized them and didn't sharpen them afterwards.
that is a must or your pictures look unsharp.

I'm sorry to say that technically, these are a little deficient.

1,2,3 are just pictures of duck head - nothing particularly interesting or graceful - and a lot of useless space.
4 is ok but no center of interest
5 - the soldier has a tree growing out of his head - and a lot of useless space above him
6 & 7 - you are trying to get something across but I don't no what it is. the main objects of interest are dead center, right above each other and there's no drama or tension in the picture.
8, 9 and 10 are good catches but shot at wrong ISO. Raise it up to 200 or 400, then you can shoot at a higher shutter speed and get some crispness in your image. (the cropping on 10 is just too tight, get a little more tire fart in there)
11- is a miss for me. Maybe a higher angle and less contrast in teh conversion

12 and 13 you hit paydirt. reasonably well exposed. Very interesting. Lots going on the makes the viewer think outside the frame.

12- you need to lighten the road some so the car isn't sitting in a pool of darkness.

and sharpen them both

Photography is hard, keep at it.
2 out of 13 is a good %

both sharpened a bit
shadow highlight tool used to lighten road

auto3fa0.jpg

auto2od5.jpg

Thanks Traveler, it shows that I still have much to learn.

I'm going to have to figure out the photobucket issue. I uploaded the full size image and let PB reduce it. I wonder if reduce and sharpen, then upload, if that will make a difference.

The duck pictures, well those defintely could have been better. Next time.

The bridge will look better next time also, it is for the train that is at the park. I'll retake it with the train going across. We will see if that helps the photo.

I completely missed the tree. Darnit!! Totally amature.

12 & 13 I got something right!! Whoo Hoo! Thank you for your comments on this. I realized that the tires blended into the road, but I just couldn't figure out how to seperate the two. I really like your edit. This place is near my InLaws house. I plan on going by there again and taking many more picture. The old guy who lives there is super friendly and will chat you up for hours about his cars.

Again, thank you for your comments. I will be posting more in the future and hopefully I can do a little better.

Thanks Traveler, it shows that I still have much to learn.

I'm going to have to figure out the photobucket issue. I uploaded the full size image and let PB reduce it. I wonder if reduce and sharpen, then upload, if that will make a difference.

The duck pictures, well those defintely could have been better. Next time.

The bridge will look better next time also, it is for the train that is at the park. I'll retake it with the train going across. We will see if that helps the photo.

I completely missed the tree. Darnit!! Totally amature.

12 & 13 I got something right!! Whoo Hoo! Thank you for your comments on this. I realized that the tires blended into the road, but I just couldn't figure out how to seperate the two. I really like your edit. This place is near my InLaws house. I plan on going by there again and taking many more picture. The old guy who lives there is super friendly and will chat you up for hours about his cars.

Again, thank you for your comments. I will be posting more in the future and hopefully I can do a little better.

First, thanks for being a total adult about this and taking what I said in the spirit it was meant. You will do well.

In regards to the Photobucket issue, absolutely resize and sharpen before upload. I did very little to your pictures but sharpen them and lighten the dark road.

Look forward to seeing more pictures.

Lew

Most reactions

New Topics

Back