Here goes...

Part135

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been taking pictures for years; of course, the distance between taking pictures and photography is vast.

Maybe it's looming old age and the onset of curmudgeon-like symptoms, but several years ago, I got tired of flipping through hundreds of pictures and muttering to myself (another symptom of impending old-age,) "Meh.." Part of my dissatisfaction was content; I mean come on, seriously, how many pictures can you take of a kiddie's birthday party? How many pictures are too many, when looking through Christmas photos you hear time and time again, "What years was that? They all look the same!" Part of my frustration had to do with the general sameness of every picture I took. Sure, there were some nice memories marked with a photo, but there was no magic; no sense that a moment had been captured.

As a result, I set out in earnest to learn something of the craft of photography. I read lots of books, took a few classes and even joined a photo-group for awhile. Above all, I took lots and lots of pictures! Now, when I look at the body of work I've accumulated, I say, "Meh..." I'm not saying I haven't learned a few things; I have, and with a spirit of deep humility, I'd like to share a few. Please understand that I'm not dropping into this forum and trying to impart my vast knowledge...I know next to nothing. But maybe by sharing the few lessons I've learned, you'll know exactly where I am in the growth process. Here goes:

1) Taking good photographs is hard, taking excellent pictures is art. I dont care how easy the manufacturers try to make the equipment, taking excellent photos is not. It takes time and effort, patience and knowledge, and - if I can put in a plug for old guys - it takes experience. My chapeau is doffed, and held tightly in hand to all you photographers who make beautiful images! I'm not there yet...not by a long shot.

2) Good photographs never come to you, or just happen. You have to be up early, or out late. You have to get in the right spot (that you formerly scouted). You have to risk sunburn, sandstorms dogbite and plague to be where the light is. I'm just now starting to realize this, and am taking steps to put that knowledge into practice.

3) You will never have a camera when you need one. Nuff said.

4) Processing enhances, it never makes. I'm still learning this one. I can't tell you how many times I've been in the field and believed that I just took a Pulitzer Prize winning shot, only to get into Lightroom and find another mediocre shot. Am I daunted? I am not! There has to be a Photoshop setting, some preset, some level adjustment I can make to turn this mediocre-shot into art! To no avail. I love the processing phase of photography, but I've never been able to make a silk purse out of the picture of a sow's ear. Maybe that's more a comment on my skills with processing?

5) Everyday is a school day. There is no graduation day for photographers...at least I haven't seen any; there is always something new to learn. If you don't like to learn, then I'm not sure you'd like photography. There is an infinite palette of content, color, light, dark, science, magic, blood sweat and tears! I feel as though I've only used a single brush and a few colors...so much more to learn; so much more to experience. Isn't it wonderful!

My photography is still - at best - a slightly advanced form of picture taking, but I feel as though the few lessons I've learned will eventually help me get to the next level. If not, I'm going to at least enjoy every moment of the bumpy road!

Thanks for letting me share.

Cliff

Row of Trees by Slow Glass Media, on Flickr

Mantis by Slow Glass Media, on Flickr

Welcome aboard. I think you'll fit right in around here.

While reading the first part of your post, an old axiom came to mind. "The difference between a good photographer and a great photographer, is the size of their waste paper basket (update that to digital recycle bin).

Thanks Mike! For the welcome and the words of wisdom!

Welcome aboard and cool photos that you shared in your intro...

Welcome! I'm having a hard time with #2........ I'm always frantically running from spot to spot, looking for that great shot! I know I should just sit and wait.......... maybe I can cut way back on the coffee!! Nice pics!

Welcome!

They're both good!

Great photos! Welcome

Welcome to the site.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome!

Most reactions

Back