here is one of a morning dove that i was able to get close too.

Dan, very nice capture, but I do believe the proper name is mourning dove - Mourning dove - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Not sure why the are referred to as "mourning" instead of "morning", although some have speculated that it relates to their "mournful cooing" :biggrin-93:. If anyone knows, I would certainly be interested in finding out - Google was no help, although it did point out that it has other names as well. It is also one of the leading game birds in the US as well.

WesternGuy

interesting, maybe they used them at funerals for some reason at some point. not sure why it would be named mourning.. strange.. thanks..

Dan, very nice capture, but I do believe the proper name is mourning dove - Mourning dove - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Not sure why the are referred to as "mourning" instead of "morning", although some have speculated that it relates to their "mournful cooing" :biggrin-93:. If anyone knows, I would certainly be interested in finding out - Google was no help, although it did point out that it has other names as well. It is also one of the leading game birds in the US as well.

WesternGuy

If my grandfather was still alive, I could ask him.
Back in the 50's, he was one of the foremost experts on the mourning dove.

I barely knew my grandfather, but I was told that he invented a simple nest for mourning doves. Apparently they build very unstable nests and egg/babies often fall to the ground. His solution was to make a cone out of chicken wire and staple it to a tree. They could then build their nest in the cone.

Very nice! Yep, I've always believed the name came from their call.

Here's a dove from this AM, but not as nice as yours, Danny! Thinking of renting a 150-600...
dove%202-13-16_DxO_zpsxisp4mji.jpg

Most reactions

Back