Here is what I understand so far about Aperture,ISO, Shutter Speed.

Matrixgravity

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
From what I understand so far, adjusting the shutter speed determines how long the shutter of the camera stays open. The longer it stays open, the more light it allows thus making the image look more brighter. The less time the shutter is open, the clearer and darker the picture is.

ISO determines how sensitive the camera is to light. If you increase the ISO, it will increase the brightness of the image but it will also be exposed to grain. Aperture controls Bokeh & Depth of field. That is all I know so far.

So as you can see, I still have a lot to learn... What am I missing?

everything else

this thread belongs IN the Basics not beyond ;)

Shutter) how long the shutter is open is directly proportional to the amount of light reaching the sensor/film
Aperture) How wide the opening of the lens, directly proportional yada yada.
ISO) the SENSITIVITY of the sensor (electronically) or film.

Well once I learn Aperture,ISO,Shutter Speed, what do you guys suggest I learn afterwards?

ha ha I was waiting for it and it came quick, I just hit refresh. You could take a couple photography classes, or wait around here for posts of people in photography classes and copy their assignment. Someone can tell you what something is but until you experience it for yourself it's just words. I really would suggest a class as a great way to push yourself, you're asking very entry level questions that you would learn in high school photography.

One thing is to say that shutter speed makes image brighter, but before you got the basics of shutter speed, aperture and ISO - you will have to know how to use all of these together to get the result you are after. If you get a good exposure that you are happy with, how can you use the shutter speed and aperture to change how the picture look without messing up your exposure. And what changes to make if your exposure is no good!

From what I understand so far, adjusting the shutter speed determines how long the shutter of the camera stays open. The longer it stays open, the more light it allows thus making the image look more brighter. The less time the shutter is open, the clearer and darker the picture is.

In addition, the longer it stays open, the more chance you have of capturing motion. It could be the subject moving and it could be the camera moving. It may produce a desired effect, it may not.

ISO determines how sensitive the camera is to light. If you increase the ISO, it will increase the brightness of the image but it will also be exposed to grain.

Noise, not grain.

Aperture controls Bokeh & Depth of field. That is all I know so far.

Bokeh is not a function of aperture...... but DOF is. Bokeh, properly, is an aesthetic, 'artistic' quality and is a result of lens design, aperture and focal length. For instance, one manufacturer's 100mm lens, at f/5.6, will not produce the same bokeh as another manufacturer's 100mm lens at f/5.6. All else equal, the DOFs will be the same, however.

Aperture also affects specular highlights and how they're rendered on the image (i.e., 'star points'), as well as image quality across the range of apertures available. Most lenses produce the sharpest image at 2-3 stops down from maximum.

Well once I learn Aperture,ISO,Shutter Speed, what do you guys suggest I learn afterwards?

How to apply them. Getting a 'correct' exposure is only the first step in understanding them.

ISO determines how sensitive the camera is to light. If you increase the ISO, it will increase the brightness of the image but it will also be exposed to grain.
Signal to Noise Ratio

DxOMark - SNR and image quality evolution

You can put the "correct exposure" in one hand and "artisticly correct exposure" in the other. The last one is what you're after, exposing to get the image you have envisioned. Now go out and make adjusting these second nature - it will happen. Learn how to use your camera. Learn how to read your histogram, learn what RAW is and why it's can give better image quality. Memorize the "aperture steps" from f/1.2 and upward.

Learn to count stops. As in: stopping down from f/4 to f/8 means stopping up the shutter speed and ISO a total of three stops (ISO one stop and ss two stops, or ISO three stops.. or however you'd like). Be able to count stops. Understand your exposure.

shootermcgavin said:
ha ha I was waiting for it and it came quick, I just hit refresh. You could take a couple photography classes, or wait around here for posts of people in photography classes and copy their assignment. Someone can tell you what something is but until you experience it for yourself it's just words. I really would suggest a class as a great way to push yourself, you're asking very entry level questions that you would learn in high school photography.

I've actually been posting my photography class assignments but have missed the last 2 weeks!!

Compaq said:
You can put the "correct exposure" in one hand and "artisticly correct exposure" in the other. The last one is what you're after, exposing to get the image you have envisioned. Now go out and make adjusting these second nature - it will happen. Learn how to use your camera. Learn how to read your histogram, learn what RAW is and why it's can give better image quality. Memorize the "aperture steps" from f/1.2 and upward.

Learn to count stops. As in: stopping down from f/4 to f/8 means stopping up the shutter speed and ISO a total of three stops (ISO one stop and ss two stops, or ISO three stops.. or however you'd like). Be able to count stops. Understand your exposure.

Get the book Understand Exposure by Bryan Peterson! There are 6(?) correct exposures for every image but only one creative one!

Compaq said:

Get the book Understand Exposure by Bryan Peterson! There are 6(?) correct exposures for every image but only one creative one!
I'm going to have to second this.

The other thing that you will need to know is about white balance. Essentially, it is the warmth of your picture. If you ever find yourself with some very blue hue pictures or warm as well, you need to adjust your white balance.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back