Here's a fun one...

Hey play it safe......you don't want to burn bridges. Be straight forward w/ the guy. Say look I'm not going to step on the other photographers toes. He was the one that was brought out for a job. Tell him if he is interested, you would gladly talk about prices to shoot another show. You could also say you'll add any photos you got from this last show to the next one you shoot. :greenpbl:

You will come off as a stand up biz person. Which hopefully he will like that about you.

:confused::er:

Seems like pretty sound advice

Yeah soo... he's looking to low-ball Bruce.

That's why he was asking.

I ended up answering him with:

In all honesty my rates vary from shoot to shoot depending on what the assignment is, because every situation calls for something different.

I would need to know what kind of shoot the client wanted, how many people were involved, the location of the shoot, what the purpose of the photos is (personal, promotional, commercial, etc), amongst other things, before I could give an accurate quote.

If you want to let me know what he's offering you, I can give you my opinion on whether or not it seems like a fair rate, but other than that, I personally, don't really have a *set* rate. Like I said, I give quotes based on the information surrounding the shoot.

And this is the newest message I got from him:

He said that normally for a shoot like the one he did Friday night, which was basically an hour, he said that he would charge $850.00 however since we're friends, he would charge by the picture and he quoted me at 1-10 pics= $15 each. 10-20 pics= $12 each. 20+ = $10 each. He borrowed the gear from work so it didn't cost him anything. My other professional photographer friend told me that he was way too high at the $850 quote and that the price per pics is too much considering the band only made $100 for the show. My photographer friend has shot me 2 or 3 times before and has given me high-res jpegs on a dvd. Usually he does about 200 pics and charges a flat rate. About $175.00 for an hour of work and all the pics. I think that is reasonable. I am probably going to talk with Bruce and see if we can work out a reasonable flat rate. Like I said, he did do a really nice job with the photos. Let me know your opinion.

Then he gave me a link to Ken's website.

So I'm cheaper than Bruce (although his "per picture" is pretty even with me) and more expensive than Ken :lol: And the whole time I'm reading this message I'm asking myself 2 questions - one directed at Bruce and one directed at Joe:

1. "Joe... why the hell didn't you find out what he was going to charge BEFORE you had him come out?"

2. "Bruce... are you an idiot? Why didn't you settle pricing BEFORE you went out to shoot the band?"

:banghead:

:lol:

Oi... if nothing more, I'm certainly learning how NOT to do business... not that I would have done it that way *anyway*... but still. :lol:

1. "Joe... why the hell didn't you find out what he was going to charge BEFORE you had him come out?"

2. "Bruce... are you an idiot? Why didn't you settle pricing BEFORE you went out and shoot the band?"

:banghead:

:lol:

:confused::confused:
things like this do boggle the mind don't they!

Most reactions

Back