Here's what I have come up with for my lighting choices.

Is the set up so perfect that there's nothing to change? lol

Check out B&H and Adorama. There are 'lower end' brands like Impact that should have similar products and prices to what you're looking at.

Check out B&H and Adorama. There are 'lower end' brands like Impact that should have similar products and prices to what you're looking at.

Yeah, I know, I was going to pick up a set of lightstands, but the impact stands I was going to get also charged tax and shipping adding like $50 on the bill just for the stands.

I have a cowboystudios stand that is decent, does the job, but it's not pro by any means. I bought the ubrella/stand combo for 40 bucks, so far it's done its job. For triggers, might want to look at CactusV5's. A little more expensive (not much), but I've read some pretty good reviews on them. My npt-04's from CowboyStudios is iffy, doesn't fire all the time. I'd say it fires 8-9/10 times though.

YN-460II's will probably be my next purchase as well, I've heard some really good things about them from some local photogs so they're worth the 40 bucks to try. Find a US ebay store so you aren't waiting a month to get them.

The shipping cost for the light stands is mostly due to their carton size. Finding a local camera shop or Craig's list may be a better choice on that end. Not long ago I found a used 13' heavy-duty air cushioned stand for $40USD, very similar to the PCB stands that I paid much more for.

For the triggers, again, I use PCB Cybersync's. Never failed once.

Westcott is a good choice from brolly's. Depending on what you are lighting, 32" may not be large enough. They're cheap enough, so I'd suggest an addition of a 45" too.

The shipping cost for the light stands is mostly due to their carton size. Finding a local camera shop or Craig's list may be a better choice on that end. Not long ago I found a used 13' heavy-duty air cushioned stand for $40USD, very similar to the PCB stands that I paid much more for.

For the triggers, again, I use PCB Cybersync's. Never failed once.

Westcott is a good choice from brolly's. Depending on what you are lighting, 32" may not be large enough. They're cheap enough, so I'd suggest an addition of a 45" too.

How would I know when to use 45"?

The bigger the light source (and the closer to the subject) the softer the light. So if your goal is nice soft light, then a larger umbrella can give you that. Some would even say that larger is always better...up to the point where it's just too big to be practical.

But you have to consider that if you are using a hot-shoe type flash, a larger umbrella may not make much of a difference.

I have been considering some Flashpoint II's off of adorama as a good beginner light after reading many positive reviews here. They are much more powerful than speedlights for a fraction of the cost. I only mention these because you didn't state whether or not portability was an issue for you. Plus, plug into the wall, no battery worries for you.

FP320220 Flashpoint Model II 320A Monolight, 150 Watt Second Strobe for 220 Volt Countries

Portability is an issue, however this is something I will look into in the near future.

Would you set these up the same way you would with a manual flash with an umbrella and stand?

I think the 32" is okay for head and shoulder shots, but not much more than that. I often use my 45" reflective brolly set near the camera as the Fill light for portraits. Sometimes it a bit too contrasty though and I'll reverse fire into a white reflector instead.

Would you set these up the same way you would with a manual flash with an umbrella and stand?
My monolights have a slot on top of the casing to slide the shaft of a brolly into.

Those light stands are pretty nice. I just bought 2 of the 10' ones last week and I was pleasantly surprised with them. I was happy enough that I'll get 2 more of the 8' ones soon to go with my other speedlights as the need comes. As for your umbrella holders... DO NOT get those. They are plastic (mine cracked on first use) and just plain suck. Anytime I try to adjust the tilt of the flash and umbrella I feel like I'm going to break it even more. I've only had them about a week and I'm looking to purchase different ones now if that tells you anything.

For your flash triggers, I would skip those since I've never really heard anything good about cowboystudio. I did a fair bit of research on triggers before I got mine and ended up with the Yongnuo RF-602's: YONGNUO RF-602 Wireless Remote Flash Trigger for Canon | eBay

There have been many testing them against pocket wizards and most end up liking the Yongnuo's better because they never misfire and are significantly cheaper. They also reliably sync to 1/250s.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Those light stands are pretty nice. I just bought 2 of the 10' ones last week and I was pleasantly surprised with them. I was happy enough that I'll get 2 more of the 8' ones soon to go with my other speedlights as the need comes. As for your umbrella holders... DO NOT get those. They are plastic (mine cracked on first use) and just plain suck. Anytime I try to adjust the tilt of the flash and umbrella I feel like I'm going to break it even more. I've only had them about a week and I'm looking to purchase different ones now if that tells you anything.

For your flash triggers, I would skip those since I've never really heard anything good about cowboystudio. I did a fair bit of research on triggers before I got mine and ended up with the Yongnuo RF-602's: YONGNUO RF-602 Wireless Remote Flash Trigger for Canon | eBay

There have been many testing them against pocket wizards and most end up liking the Yongnuo's better because they never misfire and are significantly cheaper. They also reliably sync to 1/250s.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely look into the RF-602

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back