WNK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
0d8b8014a008c7baa93102ee49eee4ab-.jpg

a8f2f21e7d73a18930845789bc6818bb-.jpg

dd3dda052c4d3fd73b451a4e7f9345fe-.jpg

#4 And...standing way at the top... here's Herman!!
88c1e261fd59f205faf0c8b513ab6c0e-.jpg

Apparently Herman was a Germanic war hero.
This is the second-tallest copper statue in the United States.

Trivia question of the day: What is the largest copper monument in the USA?

YOU have a Hermann somewhere, too?!?!?!? Oh wow. That is quite surprising. There is one also very, very tall Hermann-statue somewhere a little further south from where I live, and methinks I've even been up once as a child - I sure hated the walk up there, I would think so today ;).

And Hermann was a war hero from long times back!
Why would YOU have a Hermann-statue in the States :scratch: ??? Very surprising.

Well, the town is called New Ulm, and I think that the original statue is in Ulm, Germany, if I'm not mistaken, so I guess it would have something to do with the heritage of the settlers :)

Well, I'm afraid it is not that far south, it only is in Teutoburger Wald, which is about 1 1/2 - 2 hours drive from where we live, while Ulm is some 7 hours south, here you can see the original Hermann statue in its surroundings. Oh, but sorry, that is all in German, this site here tells you a bit about it in English :D.

Ah, neat. Thanks, LaFoto. I lived there for two years, and I did go on a tour once up to the top rail, but unfortunately have long forgotten the story behind it. Hmmm... more research in order, perhaps :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back