Heron Close Up In Flight

PushingTin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.christwine.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so I was out testing my newly aquired 2x teleconverter added to my 300mm F4 lens and I duffed this shot by only getting about a quarter of the bird in the frame.

Got me thinking, do we really have to have the entire bird in the frame or does a close up like this work?

Anyways, using the equivalent of a 600mm F8 lens requires a bit of practice to get sharp shots handheld :)

cutheron.jpg

Impressive result!
I am not sure about the composition though - I think the shot lacks a sense of motion and flight - I think some panning motion blur in the background would really help convey the sense of the bird in full flight

The shot works! And I think the reason is that they focus is sharp. I think we all need to step out of these composition "rules", and this shot is a perfect example. One suggestion, a tighter crop to eliminate some of the empty space on the right might improve it even more.

I think that it works but I would crop it more so that there is less empty space. Also how do you get a bird in flight so focused?

I can only imagine how tough it was to get this shot, and keep it tack sharp. Very, very nice.

Mac,

... Got me thinking, do we really have to have the entire bird in the frame or does a close up like this work? ...
If you're doing a "bird" shot for a magazine or the like, then the whole bird is nice, but I've never heard of it as a "must have." I like the shot and it portrays action; whole body not required!

I certainly get the sensation of flight and a tighter crop would only take away from that IMO.

:thumbsup: as is. You must have rock steady hands dude.

Most reactions

Back