Hey Toby (and other teachers)

I graduate on May 29th.

aarrrgghh!!!!

another one gets out before i :irked:

heheh. anyway, congrats on the impending graduation. :cheers: :cheer:
are you doing the college thing next?

What's with this May stuff?

Up here, every school I've heard about goes from the start of Sept. (give or take) to the end of June. If you didn't have any late exams, maybe you could be done by mid to late June...but May???

Maybe you could take an extra week and teach those kids something about other countries (ie Canada). I don't mean to stereotype but it seems that most Americans know very little about their neighbors to the north while our kids know quite a lot about our neighbors to the south.

I don't mean to stereotype but it seems that most Americans know very little about their neighbors to the north while our kids know quite a lot about our neighbors to the south

have to agree with you there. we americans tend to be way too geo-centrist, especially where canada is concerned. most of us don't even know how many states you have :p

i don't agree on the extra week thing, tho.

p.s. btw, ftr-yes, i know you have provinces, not states :p :p

There is a well know comedian/journalist up here named Rick Mercer. His best bit is called "Talking to Americans"

He sets up in prominent US locations like outside of government buildings and on University a campus. He acts like a reporter and asks people questions about Canada.

He feeds them crazy stories like Canada wanting to put a giant snow dome over our Parliament building, the government finally allowing daily news paper service etc.

He has even got some governors on tape congratulating Canada on some of these outlandish fake accomplishments.

I'm sure most Americans know much more than the people that make the final cut for his bit but we Canadians get a chuckle out of it.

I'm sure it would work the other way too...I know I would be fairly ignorant of a lot of things that Americans take as common knowledge.

Big Mike said:

Up here, every school I've heard about goes from the start of Sept. (give or take) to the end of June. If you didn't have any late exams, maybe you could be done by mid to late June...but May???

Maybe you could take an extra week and teach those kids something about other countries (ie Canada). I don't mean to stereotype but it seems that most Americans know very little about their neighbors to the north while our kids know quite a lot about our neighbors to the south.

We go pretty much the same amount of days as you guys, from the sounds of it. Our first day of classes next year is August 9. We get out earlier, but start earlier too.

I agree though about Americans not knowing much about the 'outside world'. Hell, most Americans don't know anything about America. Jay Leno's out on the street segments are hilarious (in a frightening sort of way).

Big Mike said:

Canada is to the NORTH of us? DAMN! I knew I missed that one on my geography tests! :wink:

Shark said:
We go pretty much the same amount of days as you guys, from the sounds of it. Our first day of classes next year is August 9. We get out earlier, but start earlier too.

Aug. 9th...damn...The best part of summer is in August. It's the month we are most likely not to get any snow :wink:

Big Mike said:
Shark said:

Aug. 9th...damn...The best part of summer is in August. It's the month we are most likely not to get any snow :wink:

LOL, what the hell happened up in Calgary last week?? I went to watch the hockey game and saw 6" of snow on all the flowers (the the game yestreday had people in t-shirts and shorts tailgating). :?

That's pretty much what it's like here in Alberta. Calgary especially because it's so close to the mountains. They get what we call Chinook winds. They will get a dump of snow and then +20C (68F) temps soon after.

As we say...If you don't like the weather, just wait 10 minutes"

Most reactions

Back