Hi all, need help with resize/image edit

captivating

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
and I need the photo to be exactly at 1400 x 1400 for a website. The problem I am running into is I love the look of the "long" bridge. When I just do a normal resize without the maintained ratio, I get the second photo. Can anyone suggest a way to resize to 1400 x 1400 and keep the "look"? I tried cropping but I am not too good at knowing how to do that to make it work.

Denise:) $alans original.jpg$spirit bridge.jpg Thank you for any help;)

Last edited:
What you are saying isn't clear.
you like the look of a long rectangle but you need a square shape, yes?
Those two are incompatible because they are diffent.

It doesn't make sense to me that it looks fine at 1400 x 937, but I have to have exactly 1400 x 1400. So if I change the height only why does it squish the width when I have it already set at 1400? Thanks for replying and thank you for helping if you can.

in other words, the height should stay the same (and the look) but the photo should just get larger in height? Shouldn't it? And what about cropping the photo, would that be something doable? I'm new, I haven't a clue;) denise

This is the photo at 1400 x 937 maintains ratio: $spirit bridge experimental.jpg So why when I uncheck the "maintain ratio" box so the 1400 width should not be effected, does it squish it when I change the height to 1400? Am I losing my marbles or does this not make sense. All I want to do is add height to the photo, not mess further with the width?

If you want it to be exactly 1400 X 1400 then you can either:

1. Crop it to 1400 X 1400 (losing from the sides)
2. resize it to 1400 X 1400 (stretching the image vertically (as you have found))
3. introduce extra space at the top and bottom to make the image exactly square (giving large blank areas at the top and bottom)

Does the site specify exactly 1400 X 1400 or is that just the maximum?

This is the photo at 1400 x 937 maintains ratio: View attachment 50326 So why when I uncheck the "maintain ratio" box so the 1400 width should not be effected, does it squish it when I change the height to 1400? Am I losing my marbles or does this not make sense. All I want to do is add height to the photo, not mess further with the width?

If you want to add height then those extra pixels have to be filled with something, by resizing (adding height) you're not squishing anything, you're stretching it vertically.

yes darnit, CDbaby is the site and I even called them on the phone so yes, 1400 x 1400;) Thank you a bunch. Let me keep working on it:) denise

ohhhhhhhhhh, ok, now it makes sense, ok, I'm going to keep workin on it, THANKS YOU GUYS, SOOOOOOOOO MUCH! denise

k, didn't want to fill it with some color, or border so I did some tricks, can you see them? If not, it should be good to go, Denise:)$spirit bridge.jpgView attachment 50329 Hmm, still doesn't look as long and skinny. May play with it some more:) thanks again you guys, denise

You're welcome.

Whatever you do will be a compromise, you're trying to fit a rectangular peg into a square hole so to speak. ;)

k, didn't want to fill it with some color, or border so I did some tricks, can you see them? If not, it should be good to go, Denise:)View attachment 50328View attachment 50329 Hmm, still doesn't look as long and skinny. May play with it some more:) thanks again you guys, denise

I see what you did, as well as cropping you cloned some of the water and rocks at the bottom and the trees at the top, that could work if you do it carefully.

Ok, you saw it but maybe a pro wouldn't see it. I don't think it has to be a pro pic, if it does, they asked the wrong girl to be editing it, LOL!!

Looking at it again something you could try is to mask off the section from the top of the bridge to top of the image, copy it and paste it in as a new object then stretch it vertically. Do the same from the line made by the shadows at the base of the trees and the bright reflection on the water to the bottom of the image and stretch that one down, with a bit of careful feathering of the transitions you should get the result you want.

Most reactions

Back