Hi from the Emerald Isle

Murphcobh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there, I'm Murph, Complete newbie to Photography, Retired Paramedic, 65 years young married to Claire, other interests include Liverpool FC, Model Railways. Cooking and I'm the Banjo player in a local band. next gig in Kinsale on Sunday week. Live in a place called Cobh (pronounced Cove) , in the Republic of Ireland, Cobh was the last port of call for the Titanic before she sailed off on her maiden voyage. Picked up a Nikon D3000 a good one for a new starter apparently, (arriving Monday from Sweden) for €149.00 , built in flash unlocks but doesn't pop up, you have to lift it with your finger, no great hardship there and I was gonna get a top fitting one anyway which brings me to my first question, the first of many probably , can anyone recommend a flash unit that will fit a D3000 ? I'm confused about the fitting, was looking at one on Amazon a photoolex flash speedlight costing €49 , Amazon product ASIN B01I3BU8AO it says its compatible with Canon Nikon Olympus Pentax etc but doesn't state which models and mentions something called an Mi hot shoe fitting with electrical contacts. I'd be grateful for any advice on whether it will fit mine before I commit to buy it. There's so many beautiful places here for photo opportunities, Cobh itself is riddled with history and the huge cruise liners go right past our front bay window very close in (I'll try to attach a photo of our view) and I'm dying to get going, maybe after the next gig in Kinsale ? OK thanks for listening and I look forward to meeting ye all.

Sláinte
Murph

our place.jpg

Welcome and enjoy the forum.

Hello and welcome.

you need to be sure of the return policy on flashes from Amazon. I've bought one and yes it "fit", meaning it will mount, but would not fire on my Nikon. Had to send it back. The one you list says it's for a camera with a "single point" contact hot shoe. Check your camera specs to see if that's what you have.

My personal opinion would be to go for a brand name flash, like Godox.

Last edited:
Hi there, I'm Murph, Complete newbie to Photography, Retired Paramedic, 65 years young married to Claire, other interests include Liverpool FC, Model Railways. Cooking and I'm the Banjo player in a local band. next gig in Kinsale on Sunday week. Live in a place called Cobh (pronounced Cove) , in the Republic of Ireland, Cobh was the last port of call for the Titanic before she sailed off on her maiden voyage. Picked up a Nikon D3000 a good one for a new starter apparently, (arriving Monday from Sweden) for €149.00 , built in flash unlocks but doesn't pop up, you have to lift it with your finger, no great hardship there and I was gonna get a top fitting one anyway which brings me to my first question, the first of many probably , can anyone recommend a flash unit that will fit a D3000 ? I'm confused about the fitting, was looking at one on Amazon a photoolex flash speedlight costing €49 , Amazon product ASIN B01I3BU8AO it says its compatible with Canon Nikon Olympus Pentax etc but doesn't state which models and mentions something called an Mi hot shoe fitting with electrical contacts. I'd be grateful for any advice on whether it will fit mine before I commit to buy it. There's so many beautiful places here for photo opportunities, Cobh itself is riddled with history and the huge cruise liners go right past our front bay window very close in (I'll try to attach a photo of our view) and I'm dying to get going, maybe after the next gig in Kinsale ? OK thanks for listening and I look forward to meeting ye all.

Sláinte
Murph

View attachment 268686
Welcome to the Forum!

Howdy and welcome! A camera and model trains, hmmmm? There are some possibilities there... According the the info I can find, the D3000 does not have a Mi hot shoe, so that flash would probably not work. Some of the Nikon peeps here might have info on what would work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back