Hi res and Low res?....

chloewindle1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm going to start offering clients hi res and low res digital copies of photographs. BUT, I don't know the sizing? The photo's will be used for social media such as facebook. What should I size the hi/low res images in? I use photoshop CS5 and will be using this method of resizing... $a.jpg

It's not so much the pixel dimensions but the dpi. 72 for web and 300 for printing.

As far as the dimensions go well I normally adjust that to fit the thing I am putting the image into. 1200x800 is a decent web based size. for low res.

I've found that if you upload higher res photos to FB, they don't get destroyed as bad.

It's not so much the pixel dimensions but the dpi. 72 for web and 300 for printing.

As far as the dimensions go well I normally adjust that to fit the thing I am putting the image into. 1200x800 is a decent web based size. for low res.
It's almost entirely the pixel dimensions, because the client can change the PPI to have a print made.

It's ppi, not dpi, and for the web ppi is meaningless. Photoshop is careful to use the correct term - ppi- in the Image Size dialog box and where ever else it is needed.
You could set it to 1 PPI or 10,000 PPI and online the photo stays the same size, because only the pixel dimensions have meaning for electronic display.

Web pages and other applications will usually re-size the image anyway and display resolution determines how large the image appears on the display.

But yes, for low res re-size to smaller pixel dimensions.
When you re-size you also have to consider if/which re-sampling algorithm to use and if you are saving JPEG files what Quality setting to use to control compression and the file size.

File size and image size are 2 different things.

Advanced cropping, resizing, resampling | Photoshop

Last edited:
Try to choose the largest size that fits both criteria:
1) Is just small enough that FB won't have to resize it for a typical monitor with their inferior resizing algorithms compared to photoshop
2) Is an even factor of two of the size of the original image if at all possible. I.e. exactly 1/2 the pixels across, 1/4, 1/8, etc. These particular sizes result in the fewest artifacts. But if none of those fit the FB size closely enough, don't sweat it.

this image is hosted on FB: https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t31.0-8/1606226_10101613393214116_470875996_o.jpg

it's 1920px wide. So when you view it at full screen on FB, you see a larger file. But it did drop it down from a filesize of just over 1mb to 300kb; but i save my stuff at 300dpi.

when viewed inline, it links to this: https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/1899896_10101613393214116_470875996_n.jpg

you can see it's been compressed and resized to 960px.

Most reactions

Back