Hi-Res images?

D-50

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When people talk about giving clients a disc of High res images what does that mean? do you mean TIFFs?

That means large size (lots of pixels) with a good dpi (like 300). Images suitable for printing.
Exactly, the same type of image you would print from. As opposed to an imge you might use to post on the web or one you would use as a proof.

TIFF is probably the best choice for quality, but many labs people will print at only accept JPG. however any quality difference will generally not be noticeable except for very large prints. and tiffs tend to be HUGE Files.

Dpi is totally irrelevant when it comes to talking about hi-res files. All that is relevant is the file size and format. Dpi only really comes into the equation when you're talking about output (on screen or, in print).

Many photographic libraries insist on file sizes of at least 60MB. Personally, I consider anything over 1MB to be 'hi-res' or, anything above a 1024 screen based image file.

Generally printed images are output at 300dpi (although new high definition printing technologies do allow for far greater dpi). Billboard advertisements are printed at a much lower resolution simply because they are viewed from a distance.

TIFF has been the industry standard for many years amongst graphic designers and printers.

The term 'hi-res' is a bit ambiguous to say the least. I've used to use labs that would scan film to low-res, med-res and hi-res files. Rarely was the hi-res good enough for printers requirements. It all comes down to output quality and the amount of information in a file.

Dpi is totally irrelevant when it comes to talking about hi-res files. All that is relevant is the file size and format. Dpi only really comes into the equation when you're talking about output (on screen or, in print).

Many photographic libraries insist on file sizes of at least 60MB. Personally, I consider anything over 1MB to be 'hi-res' or, anything above a 1024 screen based image file.

Generally printed images are output at 300dpi (although new high definition printing technologies do allow for far greater dpi). Billboard advertisements are printed at a much lower resolution simply because they are viewed from a distance.

TIFF has been the industry standard for many years amongst graphic designers and printers.

The term 'hi-res' is a bit ambiguous to say the least. I've used to use labs that would scan film to low-res, med-res and hi-res files. Rarely was the hi-res good enough for printers requirements. It all comes down to output quality and the amount of information in a file.

I spoke of dpi because I believe it was relevant to what the poster was asking. I wouldn't give a client a disk of files at a high pixel count, but saved at 72 dpi (and assume that they would know what to do with them). I would want them to be more "print ready".

On the other hand, I would never give my set of high res images to a client at all.

I spoke of dpi because I believe it was relevant to what the poster was asking...

Yes I understood that and think it is relevant to what the poster was asking. You're quite right - we all tend to think in dpi simply because we usually view images on screen in the first instance and then output on inkjets in the second.

The point I was trying to make is that if a print of 3cm x 2cm was required for output then a file that was produced for 1024 screen output (at the standard 96dpi) would be more than adequate. It would be 'hi-res' even though the file size was relatively small.

I'm told that the original standard of 76dpi was established within the world of typesetting and then adopted as the standard resolution on old 15" VDU's with 72 pixels square equal to a physical square inch of a 15" monitor set to 640 resolution.

The idea of larger and smaller screen pixels is something some people struggle to grasp.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back