Hi there, new to the world of Photography here, have few questions!

Terr0risT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright, I got my first camera about 3 years ago, the 12.1 MP Sony Cybershot point-and-shoot kinda thing. I love using it and have a few thousand photos in my Pictures folder. A lot of my friends say I'm the better shooter compared to anybody (non-pro) they know. Maybe because I don't just point-and-shoot like most people. I check my settings, lighting condition, compose my subject stuff like that before I click the button.

So anyways, that's the reason why I'm here. I think i'll be getting into the serious side with Photography as a hobby. I'd be getting a Nikon d3100 as my first DSLR as it's the only budget i can afford. Of course I've made my research and i'm pretty much happy with the things i've read so far.

So the question(s) is.. after getting this camera, what should I do with it? Start going outdoors and take photos? I guess the real issue is, I'm a total beginner. My Cybershot was mostly used taking photos of people when something's happening (an event, occassion, gathering, some photos here and there) although to tell you honestly I would really love nature photography like flowers, grass, the kind of things we mostly see in wallpapers.

Okay so let's say I do that.. what will I do with my pictures? Then where do I go from there? How do you go from a total noob to being an pro, and then making it a money-maker? Of course I'd love to make money with something I love doing. I'm a web developer and can easily create and maintain a site. I'm also a Photoshop CS5 user and I love to do photo slideshows and I think this could really come in handy when you go into Photography. I hope to buy a tripod with whatever income I may get from shooting occasions.

So, this is a beginner right here asking for your comments and advice. I only have a Sony 12.1 Cybershot and a Nikon d3100 DSLR (in a month or two). I'm hoping I can use my d3100 for a year or more.. But I'm a bit worried that I might outgrow or feel wanting to upgrade it after using it for several months. :er: Although that's just me and I don't know that yet.

Finally, i'm starting to realize that some photographers get into a some sort of specialization. Some specialize in weddings/occasions, some portraits, landscapes, photo journalism, etc. Can we be good in whatever scenarios?

Hey, thanks for whatever input you can share. This is my first post :)

Well for starters your going to have to learn your exposure triangle. You will have to learn to be able to control your light. You will have to learn good fundamental composition. All this takes years to master. I would not even think of shooting "pro" for a long time. You need to build up a portfolio first, nobody is going to hire you unless they can see work you have already done.

as far a specialization, yes, most photographers specialize in certain aspects, but that does not mean you cant be good at all of them. Just cause a guitar player is in a rock and roll band does not mean he can't play good jazz or country, rock is just what he prefers. Once you get your camera you need to practice practice practice. Take some photography classes and read some books, scour the internet, etc. For 100 bucks a year you can go to kelbytraining.com and watch hundreds of videos, by top instructors and professionals, it is well worth it.

Good luck on your new found hobby!

Most reactions

Back