What's new

Hideous Entropy

Ysarex91 85

TPF Supporters
Joined
Nov 27, 2011
Messages
7,717
Reaction score
4,577
Location
St. Louis
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Been so busy with two classes this semester I haven't had time to take any photos -- until this past Friday when I made a startling discovery. My wife took me along on a hunt for juice glasses and we headed for the local antique mall.

As all of you know the 2nd law of thermodynamics specifies that entropy increases. Simply put heat/energy dissipates until it reaches a state of thermodynamic equilibrium (frozen dead). I discovered Friday that the same process is operative culturally vis a vis hideousness and that in fact we are already dangerously near a state of hideousness equilibrium happening right under our noses at the antique malls. I got pictures if anyone's skeptical.

Joe


fish_zpsb13f0b31.jpg


paint_numbers_zps5ffaadb7.jpg


marilyn_zpse28f189c.jpg



piggy_zps2506f1a8.jpg
 
Items are deteriorating in the atmosphere.....law obeyed....gotcha!!!
 
Well there's no accounting for taste.

That fish! Is that the one that flops around when you pass by and talks to you?
 
Yeah...surprised you didn't jump on that vintage tarpon mount...I mean, what man-cave is complete without a mounted tarpon?
 
I'd love to hang that fish mount in one of my exam rooms. Oh the conversations that would start!
 
I'll take the fish, and those 2 wooden carving thingys on the wall...the lamp by Marilyn...and the ceramic pig in the last image. There! Future basement/rec room done!

Can't pull the trigger on those boxer paint by numbers, though. I have my standards.
 
Kitsch is fascinating in its own way. Some of the first sculptures were of animals. It is interesting to me that we still have this attachment to figurines of animals, only our "stories" are a bit different because of cultural differences. Where a paleolithic person may have kept a mammoth for good luck on the hunt, we keep a mass-produced pig decorated with flowers. The easy rendering sort of reflects how out of touch we are with how food is actually obtained and the detached mass production of it. The first art, on rocks, inside caves, and in the form of sculpture, almost exclusively depicted animals. Kitsch, at its worst, usually does the same, with the exception of Elvis and Monroe, lol.
 
Glad you all enjoyed those. I'm thinking I may explore this topic further.

Derrel, Terri, Brickhouse: I can read the tag on the full-res version of the photo and that tarpon is only $125.00. Just say the word and I'll run over and pick it up for you (I'm sure it's still there).

Joe

kermit_zps5c9678a4.jpg
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom