High dynamic range?

well im gonna play devils advocate here. Alot of you know iv played with HDR quite a while ago... and iv not usually got much bad to say about it (unless it looks like a cartoon)... but i do belive there is a time and place for HDR.

IMO it very much depends on what your going to shoot... and why your going to shoot it.... and tbh if this is for Gallery work as you suggested, then it may be better to show an example of a photograph which has needed a minimal amount of minipulation. This would display your skill as a photographer much more than a HDRI... and im sure people that come to see photography would also appreciate it more.

HDR is an 'ify' subject with me being a graphic designer, i do except that it is still photography in a sense.... but i also understand people who think its more graphic artwork.

something to think about; when people say 'well its just like dodging and burning and other photographic techniques'..... does that mean, if i have a photo of a gun on a white background.... then cut out some bullets from another photo and place several of them to look like trails of the bullet coming out of the gun.... is this still a photograph?.... or graphic art?..... when does it stop being a photograph and become graphics?.... who says?....

With all the recent software advances the line has become blured.... and it will become more blured as time passes.
I think what your teacher was tring to do is to teach you photography in its purest forum.... then you can go off and learn new techniques if you wish... but the foundations of learning photography should be traditional imo.

as far as adding elements, that is obviously different in the sense that HDR doesnt add anything that wasnt there in the first place.

I was trying to make the point if it matters how you got there.... if the end result looks more like graphics than photography? Adding elements doesnt mean its graphics either...... how about adding a different sky to an image?

With HDR, it is possible to bring out exaggerated detail..... detail that otherwise isnt visable.... this is what makes the cartoony look.... you cannot then suggest to someone that just because of the process, its definately still a photograph.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back