High Key Portrait

Mike350d

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi folks,

This is my first attempt at a high key portrait of my daughter. Personally I love it, but I just wondered what others thought. Any comments and criticism much appreciated as always :thumbup: Cheers.

Info: Canon 400D / Tamron 55-200mm @ 200mm f5.6 / pp in Photoshop using Curves & Levels

Lori.jpg

personally I love seeing little kids and babies full of life. This shot just reminds me of casper too much. Focus and composition are spot on but I would love to see the same shot but with warmer colors. If you love it than thats really what matters!

I agree! Cute shot but it could use more color. unless this is what youare going for. Every person has a taste. This just doesn't agree with me. Could you add maybe 20% color back in the skin? Even 15% might work.

I LOVE IT!!!!!

any tips on how to acheive it:thumbup:

I think it is a creative shot... like the composition and think it is fresh. I am not worried about the color since she is your daughter I just know you probably have loads of photos of her filled with color. Photos that stand out and have something setting them apart are the driving force behind the art. Photos like these will be ones that catch your daughters eyes later on in life. "Is this me mom? Wow!"

Nice work indeed. If anything I would give Kudos for not going overboard on the selective coloring.

Many thanks for the comments and constructive criticism guys. Now that I see this on my (better calibrated) monitor at home I'm understanding the casper comments :) On my monitor at work where I did the pp, I can actually see some of the very subtle warming filter that I added - maybe I'll ramp it up a little.

Regarding how I achieved it: Primarily adjusting the curves and levels until I got the high key look with just the amount of detail that I wanted. Then a spot of high pass sharpening, selective colouring and burning. That's about it really - I guess the shadow and highlight info in the original had to be right.

Mike

Most reactions

Back