High Peaks & Trees

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Took a drive up to Newfound Gap today, apparently everyone in the country decided to do the same. :apologetic: Did manage a couple of shots.

In late November of 2016 to careless teens started a wildfire along the Chimney Tops Trail inside the Great Smokey Mountain National Park. Fueled by high winds, it would become a disaster of epic proportions, that by the time it was done, had consumed 10,000 acres (15 square miles) inside the park, another 6,000 acres outside the park, destroyed 2,000 homes and buildings, killed 14 people, and injured 134. The fire hopped, skipped and jumped through the tourist town of Gatlinburg, and only by luck did not consume the whole town, as the 80 mph wind whipped the fire one way then another like a giant torch. What man destroys nature will reclaim. Unless you look close you won't see the charred remnants of trees still standing on Chimney Tops.
GSMNP20190803_1442-Pano.jpg

Continued our way on up to Newfound Gap at 5048 ft, it's the lowest gap over the mountains between Tn and NC. It's a 2 lane narrow, twisty, curvy road, that isn't for the faint of heart or those in a hurry (especially when it snows). It was a warm and muggy 76 when we started the climb, and a pleasant 62 and cool, at the gap. The distant road in the valley is the gap rd going down the NC side into Cherokee.
GSMNP20190803_1454-Pano.jpg

Fantastic images of beautiful countryside.

Sad to hear of the devastation caused by the wildfire. We have a lot of experience with that sort of wildfire devastation here in Australia.

But as you said "nature will reclaim"

Fantastic images of beautiful countryside.

Sad to hear of the devastation caused by the wildfire. We have a lot of experience with that sort of wildfire devastation here in Australia.

But as you said "nature will reclaim"

Another side effect of the fire was the areas real estate prices were just starting to recover, then the fire took so many out, that prices have soared.

Very nice; did you push the greens/saturation by any chance?

Thank you! These were shot using Pentax Landscape mode which tends to enhance the greens and a CPL, so they were pretty saturated SOOC. Post I split toned with blue in the shadows, and warmed the highlights. To much??

Lovely countryside................

The mountains have always attracted us, over the years it's become a second home for us.

Beautiful area. We went last year but it was cloudy almost the whole time. I wish I had brought my tripod for all the beautiful creeks and Falls. Family trip so I packed light.

Most reactions

Back