High-Power Zoom lens

fmw said:
In theory there is some performance loss in a lens design that features VR. Truthfully, I've never owned or used a VR lens. But I thought I would post an image here that I made on Sunday. This was shot handheld with my 80-200 f2.8 zoom cranked all the way out to 200mm. It isn't an awe inspring image but I think you will agree that if there is any camera shake visible it is very minor. No VR. Just concentrate on holding it steady.
I do notice some minor bokeh differences with VR on vs. off. Other than that I see no performance loss. You do have to wait a beat for the VR to settle before taking the shot, though, otherwise it'll induce blur instead of remove it. Just a matter of learning to use the tool.
What was the shutter speed on the duck picture?
This is a shot from this summer, early evening in the shade, 70-200VR with a TC-17IIe at 340mm, not a wonderful image on any level, but the shutter speed was 1/13 second. Pretty sharp for hand held at that speed.
vr_test.jpg

Camera Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D70s
Image Date: 2006:07:03 16:47:42
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 340.0mm (35mm equivalent: 510mm)
Exposure Time: 0.077 s (1/13)
Aperture: f/5.6
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Center Weight
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
Comment: (c)2006 DSP

Glimmerman said:
Love Guitar, when you say won't break the bank, its relative, some people's piggy banks are a lot larger than others.

For $189 canadian the Nikon G can't be too bad to learn on for now.
Bump up to $350ish for a Sigma and it can do macro too
Bump up to 670 and wait, you can get VR
above that is quite a jump, 1200+

Or look at used, although I cannot find many deals on AF Nikons they just dont sit around for long, and fetch high enough prices I would rather buy new

Are you willing to try a manual focus lense? You could look for Vivitar series 1 version 3 70-210's then, and other optically good manual lenses.

Well, with our first baby on the way, buying anything really expensive these days is a battle with the Mrs., but for arguments sake, let's say no more than $500.
And yes, I would be totally alright with manual focus. I'm pro-manual mode, so why not focus as well?!

dsp921 said:
I do notice some minor bokeh differences with VR on vs. off. Other than that I see no performance loss. You do have to wait a beat for the VR to settle before taking the shot, though, otherwise it'll induce blur instead of remove it. Just a matter of learning to use the tool.
What was the shutter speed on the duck picture?
This is a shot from this summer, early evening in the shade, 70-200VR with a TC-17IIe at 340mm, not a wonderful image on any level, but the shutter speed was 1/13 second. Pretty sharp for hand held at that speed.

I agree and I'm not fighting the technology as I said above. I shot the duck at 1/800 at f3.5 raising the ISO to 400 to allow the high shutter speed. I could not hand hold a sharp picture at 1/13 second. I understand that. If I had a VR lens, I would certainly use the feature.

The issue of lens design didn't deal with a difference between VR turned on or off. It dealt with a lens designed with it against a lens designed without it. That was years ago. I certainly agree that it is a great feature and I appreciate your posting the example.

boclcown said:
I understand that the more you pay, the better quality you get. But I won't be convinced that $800+ is really worth the extra 2 stops and slightly better optical quality.

Maybe if someone posted comparisons....(hint, hint)

The optical advantages of a better lens design are subtle enouth that you wouldn't likely see them in a 72 ppi JPEG unless you cropped and enlarged a corner of the photo. The lower contrast of the lesser lens could be fixed for the most part in post production. The 2 stops, however, would be huge to me. Monstrous. But not so important to you. Given that, I would say the $800 wouldn't be worth it either for you.

fmw said:
The issue of lens design didn't deal with a difference between VR turned on or off. It dealt with a lens designed with it against a lens designed without it.

I realized that's probably what you meant after I posted. I only posted that image to show what VR can do, not to argue in any way. The 70-200VR is widely accepted as a very sharp lens, one of Nikon's best, the VR takes nothing away from image quality. Would it be sharper without VR? I don't know, maybe, but I doubt it would make too much of a difference, it's a seriously sharp lens as is.

fmw said:
The 2 stops, however, would be huge to me. Monstrous. But not so important to you. Given that, I would say the $800 wouldn't be worth it either for you.

I'd agree with this. If you question the extra money, it probably isn't worth it to you. I wouldn't call the optical difference between the consumer and pro lenses slight however.

Are manual focus lenses cheaper?

And reading around, that Sigma lens looks quite good.

Yes, but there are not many on the market any more. It does open you up to a wide variety of older but optically high quality lenses. (you would have to research the individual lenses)

Don't waste your time on MF lenses. They won't properly meter on your D70s, plus they're not much cheaper.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back