High Speed Water Photography - 5 tips

I admit it, I added colour in photoshop :p

And Bynx, not quite correct ;)

==============================
ISO-400
f/5.6
1/1000th of a second
==============================

I had a pretty quick continuous dripping of droplets, that's why I got that big air bubble with smaller bubbles inside. My brother and I changed turns on actually squeezing out water from the hanging plastic bag to get boost the speed of it. I positioned the bowl of water right next to a window to get plenty of natural light. I own no flash, so this was the best I could do.

Compaq you got a nice tail trail from the ball of water as it moved up. My trail was a little shorter and I used 1/250 sec shutter speed so I figured yours was a little slower than that. Ah, what do I know. Ive been at it again and getting really frustrated. I have never ever achieved the umbrella shot. When I do that I will retire. You want to have your water dripping in exactly the same spot every time. Squeezing the bag wont do that. Just let it drip. I might go to a place like Edmund Scientific and get a flask with drippers. You can control the drip rate. Then control the height and it should all come together. Its a lot of fun considering you dont need much equipment, but I guess to do it right you have to get some better control. Which means equipment. Here is a shot I call Escape Velocity.

1zdiqd.jpg

Last edited:
haha, a good dream, Bynx!

I read on here somewhere that two droplets in close succession will create some weird results. I'm seeing in my head that the first drop makes that stalk (in lack of a better word) and when the second drop hits on top of that, it will splash out and create that mushroomy top roof. I'm not sure if this is correct. If it is, it'll be a b**** to time, I'd guess?

I would think shutterspeed should be determined by the amount of ambient you have and if it is causing motion blur or not.

This shot was a 1 second exposure.

5466823961_3ebd9d2473_z.jpg

Olga_pv said:
Here and here are my drops :) (Flickr, cannot post it here, sorry)

On flickr go to share then grab the link. Make sure you get the bbcode. Copy and paste here. Then the picture will show up.

Olga_pv, I like the top green water drop. Pretty much perfect! Has anyone done this but been aware of what the droplets reflect? I guess what I'm asking has anyone set up a white curtain or a solid background around/behind the camera so the water droplets don't pick up a reflection of the room?? I think that might bring these to the next level Olga.

Slow down the drops by using glycerine or a baby oil mix! ;)

skieur

Here is a useful video which might be helpful for this project.

Last edited by a moderator:
i photograph water polo so these tips are of particular interest to me. good job! :thumbup:

Ohh God, I've watched many videos by that guy. His tips are great, but his voice and dialect is just like a train putting on the emergency breaks..

Most reactions

Back