Hiking Views in New Hampshire

Stephen.C

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Over the weekend I went hiking in New Hampshire, and I think I got a few good shots. My Dad and my older brother are working on the "4000 footers club", which is a real club in New Hampshire, and to join it, you have to climb the 48 ( I think ) 4000+ mountains in NH. They're close, they have 15 left.
We were behind schedule because our hike consisted of constant extremely steep up and down. Wildcat mountain has 5 peaks and only two of them count as "mountains". Unluckily the furthest peak in the 5 counted. Anyways, we decided to go down the ski slope instead of the trail because it was getting late, and the trail we went up was extremely steep, and would be dangerous going down. Going down the ski trail was much harder than I thought. We were often in waist high grass, and it made it hard to see if there was a hole or a rock. We followed a trail of smushed down grass that we thought a person made. Turned out to be a bear's tracks. Then while going down I stepped on a log, which of course had a bee's nest in it. They wernt happy. Stung only twice ( thank god ). All in the name of Photography :) C&C please
#1. View of a cloudy Mt. Washington.
4854473469_38283e8afa_b.jpg

#2 Looking from the peak into the mountain rage of NH and Maine
4855089192_dc6b80a7a9_b.jpg

#3 A look down the slope.
4855088350_7f3b682de7_b.jpg

#4 this is just for fun, but it was taken at the hotel. Reminded me of The Shining.
4855003090_4292190a1a_b.jpg

Thanks for Looking. C&C please!

Hi Stephen,

Overall, the mountain shots are pretty good with just a couple of suggestions.

In all 3, your whites are too hot. Also, generally across each scene, they look a little washed out in colour. This suggests a one stop overexposure. Your DOF is very good, however so we know it's not your aperature that grabbed too much light.
Go one stop faster on your shutter next time. It will darken those whites just enough to bring out the detail we can't see in these.

As well, you could blend two exposures. Shoot one exposed for the ground, one exposed for the sky. Layer them together in PS/GIMP etc, and paint the darker sky in. This technique is pretty well common practice in the digital world if you don't have those $300 GND filters :p

The interior shot is very nicely done. Only thing I would have done differently :
Go one stop down on the aperature and one stop slower on the shutter. The knocked down aperature will dumb out the lights enough so they don't overexpose the fixtures they are in.

Pretty darn good shots though overall, Stephen.

Hope these comments help you -- keep shooting

Thank you very much, those helped me an enormous amount! This was by far my hardest time taking outdoor photos because of the clouds and overcast.
Very very helpful.

Stephen
I have hiked in New Hampshire a lot a number of years ago. You brought the feeling back for me with the images you have captured.

...and you are correct, some of the trails can be arduous at best.

The interior shot gives me that drunk-vertigo feeling. :confused:

I am happy the photos hit home PB!
And I'm not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing Ark hah.

Epic photo's, first two are my favourites. Much mountain bike access there?

Love the shining, you should do an edit with twins chopped into it, or a trike lol!

Thank you very much.
The trike idea sounds funny! Ill give it a shot ; )

Most reactions

New Topics

Back