Hmmm, a scam me thinks...

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I was perusing Craigslist the other day, as I often do. Whilst rummaging through Chicago's photo/video section, I came across what was surely the deal of a life time! A D700 and 24-70, both mint condition, and only 900 shutter clicks on the body, for a low low price of only $1500! Now, I know what you're thinking. I just hit the jackpot! He even had pictures of the goods, so it must be legitimate, right? Well, out of my incurable curiosity, I sent an e-mail inquiring further. Now, by the next morning, the ad was taken down, so that must mean he is holding the items to sell them to me, right?!?! To my utter excitement, today I finally got a reply to my questions. Here's what he wrote: :biglaugh:

Hi,
Thanks for being interested in buying my Nikon D700 and Lens , I will start my email by telling you that I'm currently out of country so pick up isn't an option . The item is as described , in perfect condition and will be delivered at your home address . Total price will be $1,500 and the transaction will be made only through eBay because they will handle with all that it has to be done ,the shipping , payment and passing the item in to your property as they have authorization to sign for the item in my behalf . Right now I'm in the Italy, just arrived here 3 days ago . Before I left I found a buyer and I had everything arranged . I paid for the shipping and almost sent it to him . But yesterday the buyer that I had asked me to wait another 4 weeks because he suddenly had other priorities and he is out of money for the moment . I can't wait this long as I'm in Italy for 3 days now and i really need the money, I am in the moving process , changing the work place and everything ... A major issue is that if you want to buy my item you really need to have the money ready for it .
This purchase protection guarantees that the item is exactly as I described ; basically , once delivered , you'll have 10 working days to inspect it at your home and if you decide not to keep it you will get refunded in no time and they will charge me with the return costs . If the item meets your expectations and you want to keep it you will have to tell them to release me the payment details so I can get paid . If you are interested in this purchase please reply me with your full name and shipping address . After i pass this details to them you will receive an invoice and further instructions as how will you be able to get possession of the item .
Let me know your thoughts .

Thanks ,
R. Wiebel

This is what I wrote in reply: :biggrin:

Robbery,

I'm so glad you got back to me. I'm very excited to take advantage of this opportunity, as it is a great deal!. I was a little concerned until you mentioned eBay as being the intermediary. That completely alleviates any further concern I had. I have the cash in hand, and could complete the transaction at any time! As you requested, here is the rest of my information. I actually live in Washington DC. I was originally hoping to meet you in Chicago, because I was in Milwaukee on business. But, since you will need to ship it anyway, we can just go with my home address. I hope this meets your needs, and I look forward to doing business with you!

Shipping address:
1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW
Washington D.C, DC 20500

Regards,

I have only one two words for you Mr. Wiebel. Nice Try! :greenpbl:

Thanks, Tired! Even if I get a call from the Secret Service, it was worth it!

they send you a fake ebay listing and link to their site where you enter your info so they can steal it. They are getting more sophisticated but it still takes a fool to get taken. Well done, I wonder if the WH will receive a surprise?

they send you a fake ebay listing and link to their site where you enter your info so they can steal it. They are getting more sophisticated but it still takes a fool to get taken. Well done, I wonder if the WH will receive a surprise?

Yeah, I already got the "ebay" e-mails. I'm going to play this one as long as I can, just for spite. I'm also already in the process of completing an online complaint for the FBI internet crimes division. Not that it will do much, but it helps them track when and where these scammers are. I'm also sending the real eBay the info just in case they're interested in pursuing the scammers for fraudulently representing them.

Most reactions

Back