Hmmm how do i.....

jackiex_x

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was trying to take one of those photos of a car going past and you make it blurry... so i set my shutter speed slower as i think you're supposed to but it was a sunny day and all other photos required the shutter speed to be 1/1000 at least so every time i tried to blur a car going past it was very over exposed. So how could i have done this please? :)

By using a ND filter(s) to get the required exposure time.

Answer the question yourself.

I went from 1/1000 to 1/100(for example and it's a good speed for panning on cars) what would you need to change to go from 1/1000 to 1/100 with the same light?

and for extra credit, how many stops from 1/1000 to 1/100?

ND filter for day shots, try the x1000, one which can slow by ten stops.

Otherwise, a Circular Polariser can slow down by 1 to 2 stops.

Make sure it is a Circular Polariser.

Alternatively, Smaller aperture. Most lenses can go down to f/22, if not more.

Last edited:
You needed to also make the lens aperture smaller so it was letting in less light.

When you pan the subject is not moving very much in the image frame, so you can use a slower shutter speed.

Making the lens aperture smaller makes the DoF deeper such that the background is then in focus, but the panning motion of the camera blurs the background with motion instead of DoF.

i would suggest you just need to work on gaining a better technical understanding of how the camera/lens and photography work.

Hmm i had the camera on f/35 and ISO100 , it was extremely sunny.

A Neutral Density filter is a handy tool to have in the bag. I use a Hoya NDX8, which is a 3 stop filter. You can also add a CPL which will give you ~ another 1-1/2 stop of light. For my CPL's, I use B+W filters.

Adding these filters will give you an opportunity to shoot wider or longer during daylight than you otherwise could (cotton candy water flow). In the same breath, they will also allow you to expose much longer for night time photography (light trails).

Become batman.

You'll want to increase the aperture to let less light in, make sure the ISO is as low as possible, and as you said reduce your shutter speed. Also, to keep the car in focus, youll want to pan, or use AF-C (or 3D if you have a camera with 3D AF)

jackiex_x said:
Hmm i had the camera on f/35 and ISO100 , it was extremely sunny.

Are you sure it was f/35? It just seems like a really small aperture to still have a shutter speed of 1/1000.

Become batman.

You'll want to increase the aperture to let less light in, make sure the ISO is as low as possible, and as you said reduce your shutter speed. Also, to keep the car in focus, youll want to pan, or use AF-C (or 3D if you have a camera with 3D AF)

It being only two letters long is rending this unGoogleable, what exactly is 3D Autofocus?

Timoris said:
It being only two letters long is rending this unGoogleable, what exactly is 3D Autofocus?

3D Focus Tracking from Nikon

NIKOOON!

khaaan.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back