Hockey, 2012.01.29 - Tulsa Oilers v Laredo Bucks

Very cool Les!!! Great subject..super shots! Am I correct you had access though a portal they have in the glass for photographers?? (I heard Jared Polin (Froknowsphoto) talk about this as he's shot at hockey games as well.)

Unfortunately, my arena doesn't have these holes to shoot from. I typically shoot from a sport between the two benches that has no glass in front of it. The general public don't have access to this area. I also shoot from a spot where I can shoot over the glass, that the general public does have access to.

Nice shots :) What lens/focal length and what ISO did you use for these pics?

I you click on each photo, it takes you to the bigger size on flickr.com. There's a link there just above the photos that lets you take various actions, and one of these is to View EXIF. You can see most all settings in the EXIF.

Generally, I shoot ISO 1600. My shutter is usually at 1/800th. Aperture is usually f/4.0 or f/4.5 depending on where I'm at and the angle to the ice.
The lens I use is a 70-200mm Canon f/2.0 lens.

Still not liking the horizontals, and the boards in the background should still be straight. Guessing that image 3 is through the glass. I like image 1, that works well.

Still not liking the horizontals, and the boards in the background should still be straight. Guessing that image 3 is through the glass. I like image 1, that works well.
You're right on the 3rd.
You're also right on the 2nd with regards to the horizontal. I was in a rush to publish the following morning after the game when I edited.
However, I went back to the original on the 1st and there are vertical lines in the glass seams. So because of the angle that I took the shot, the verticals are correct, but the horizontals are at an angle.

It's hard keeping the horizontal line straight in arenas, depending on which angle you shoot from. You are dealing with the posts on the net, the posts on the glass, the top and bottom lines on the boards. Straighten one and you end up with another one off.

It's hard keeping the horizontal line straight in arenas, depending on which angle you shoot from. You are dealing with the posts on the net, the posts on the glass, the top and bottom lines on the boards. Straighten one and you end up with another one off.

Yep. And when rushed, you often miss a few too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back