Hockey

Maynard9

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

I'm new to the site and fairly new to sports photography. I've just started shooting hockey and posted a few of my very first photos in the 'Beyond the basics' section where I got some really helpful advice. I'll probably get more feedback if I post here, so I've attached photos from my second attempt. I was using my Canon 7D Mark ii and my 70-200 F2.8L. The settings for all the photos were 1/1000, F2.8 and ISO 6400. My photos are ok to edit although my profile says they're not. I just haven't figured out how to change it yet.Thanks for looking and all comments and critiques will be extremely welcomed. Thank you.
1.jpg
3.jpg
8.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg
12.jpg

Attachments

• 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 150
For rec hockey in a poorly lit arena they all look fine. There's nothing "outstanding" about them, but the players would think they are great.

You did a real nice job getting them level. I would try to get the puck in a few more. And maybe try a little noise reduction in post ?

Thanks for your feedback. The few I managed to get level were greatly outnumbered by ones that weren't, although the puck was visible in all of them.. it's just a shame it was rolling down hill lol. The new season starts next week so I'll focus on those 2 areas that need improving.

I'll apply some noise reduction and post the results.

Thanks again.

Can't you just straighten them up in post? I do it all the time shooting hockey, keeping the ice level, and the boards straight when the net is in the shot can be a bit of a challenge.

You're right, it's very challenging to get them level. I looked over a few last night and the photos with the sloping boards had catering tables and piles of boxes in the background, so they were pretty ugly. I'm going to buy a little stool and sit the opposite side facing the seats next week.

Photographing hockey I often frame so the post closest to center ice is parallel to that side of my viewfinder. Or for action in front of the net I use one of the posts to frame it parallel to that side of the viewfinder. (I learned on film and the only way to straighten later would be to get an enlargement and crop - so I had to learn and practice how to frame shots straight as much as possible.) I'll often get set and framed and focused on the net and wait for the action to come to me so when it does I just have to slightly adjust framing and focus.

Some of the problem such as in #1 is that grid work behind the net because of the geometric pattern of the lines (I find there seem to be a lot of lines and posts to contend with). I would say to frame a little lower maybe but then you'd probably lose heads... I suppose I'd just try to frame as straight as possible and/or straighten it in post.

I don't know if you're allowed to stand at ice level, but I'd suggest going early and walking around to see what vantage points you can find where the background looks halfway decent (and maybe avoid the maintenance cart that somebody left there) and where the light seems bett (I usually avoid the dark corners). We have some local rinks here with bad lighting and worse glass etc. so it can be challenging (but I love old hockey barns).

You might think about your aperture settings, in one it looks like the logo is sharp but the face isn't as much, although that could be the face shield; I found once they started wearing those it can be harder to get focused on their faces (yeah, I've been doing this awhile... lol). I usually use larger apertures if I'm shooting something like warmups where I'm getting some player close-ups.

I'd go early, stay late, the more you do this the more you'll probably figure out what works for you and what didn't, and have fun with it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back