Holy Crap this is difficult--N00b Rant + bonus C&C

LuckySo-n-So

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am having extreme difficulty coming up with good shots.

I've taken about 200 pics with my new D40 (yeah, I know, spare me:mrgreen:...). I really like only 1 so far, but it would get ripped on this forum because it's a cliche "macro" shot of my dad's cat. There are about maybe five that I would even think about printing.

Spent about 40 minutes at the university (LSU) today just before twighlight, but came up with $hite, save for a couple of uninteresting (an LSU die hard would love them) shots of the stadium and Mike VI--LSU's 400 pound live tiger mascot.

It makes me appreciate all of y'all who have years of experience and know just how to get that perfect image, even if the subject matter is somewhat lacking--hell, even if it IS good subject matter.

Anyway, I'll stop whining and moaning and let the butt-reaming begin. Please be brutal. No guts, no glory, right? :banghead:
/rant.

#1) Mike VI--this was shot from behind 2 inch thick glass, so there's a funky glare thing going on. I also think it's the wrong setting on the camera as well.
046yk5.jpg

#2) Tiger Stadium, Contrasting the old "Roman Colosseum" structure with the brand new West Upper Deck. Tiger fans would enjoy the subject matter.
049fr4.jpg

#3) Dad's cat. Kind of "you have to know the cat" to understand the picture. This is my favorite one.
048nb2.jpg

noob to noob. 1 is way out of focus and under exposed. 2 is good but could use more DOF. 3 is overexposed and out of focus at the whiskers. But like I said, its noob to noob so I may be way off.

1. Besides having motion blur (use a faster shutter speed), the white balance is off
I like #2
3.I think having the whiskers out of focus is fine, and I think that its properly exposed,but there are harsh shadows at the top of the eyes.

my first tip is take advantage of todays post processing programs out there, the digital revolution has changed photography forever, you will be able to play a lot more with colours in the photographs, it really helps, what are you like taking photos? it seems like your trying really hard to get great shots when you go out, photography is an art, and for me its my getaway time, just enjoy being outside, and let the ideas come in, especially with digital, just start in an area, take a few, then sit back and relax and look around, ideas will come. But just because its digital does not mean to take a ton of pictures, think about every shot, and change settings as you take them and look at the difference. filters are a great help too, try circ. polarizers for better contrast on sunny days.

and maybe try focusing on what kind of pictures you like, then read some tips on how some of those shots are done. I just got into night photography the past year and have found some INCREDIBLE books on night +low light photography.

Im lovin # 3 I like it the look on the face of that is cool.

I have 2 things to say to you:

1) Get low, get close.
2) Rule of Thirds.

Back in the days of film it was said that a photographer went through three stages.

The first was a fixation with gear. He traded his camera in as soon as the newest model hit the market -- became a wonk on specs of cameras and lenses -- rarely took a picture.

The second stage was a fixation with the darkroom. He spent huge amounts of time learning how to get the best print out of a [single] negative -- grew mushrooms behind his ears -- squinted in the light.

The third stage found him wandering about with a somewhat beat-up rig. If stopped for conversation, he would probably mumble something about '... catch the light ...' and scurry off. His pictures could be found at MOMA.

Translating into digital: First stage is accepting and mastering your gear. Second stage is learning Gimp or Photoshop. Final stage - you've mastered the meduim and begun to make fine pictures.

My best wishes to you. It's a great journey.

Back in the days of film it was said that a photographer went through three stages.

The first was a fixation with gear. He traded his camera in as soon as the newest model hit the market -- became a wonk on specs of cameras and lenses -- rarely took a picture.

I had to laugh @ this. Reminds me of long ago when I skied; the folks with the fastest clothes were never seen @ the top of the hill. :lol:

Welcome to the site and the painfull torment that is photography ;) :)

lets have a look - first shot:
Ok first off the white balance for the shot is way off, if you have something like photoshop elements or paintshop pro you should have the ability to edit the white balance of the shot to a limited extend, the temperature slider and tint sliders are what you need to use. I can go into a bit more detail, but would like to know what editing program you have access to first (otherwise explinations could confuse)

Second shot - looks ok to me exposure wise, though the sky is nearly blown out in some areas (all white) but unless your using a polarizer its a good sky capture with the buildings decently exposed

Third shot - give the contrast a slight boost and I think you have a winner there :) The shot works well because you have got the focus right where it should always be with an animal - on the eyes! If nothing else with animals nail the eyes in focus! The depth of field is a little small and the nose has gone out of focus, a slightly smaller aperture (bigger f number) would have helped counter this, but its not too distractingin this shot.

Until I saw #3 I was convinced #1 must be your Dads cat.. haha.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back