Homeless in San Fran

IanRB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took a trip to San Francisco and this homeless man was in the Muni station with a interesting looking instrument. Unfortunately he was sleeping so i felt kind of bad taking this picture without him even knowing but heres what i got anyways. Let me know what you think.

And if anyone knows what this instrument is i would really like to know. thanks

2243362582_6f320a3823_o.jpg

nice pic... no idea of the instrument though.

My first thought was a mandolin, then a banjo. Now I'm pretty sure it is neither, so we can rule out mandolin and banjo....

On the picture side of things: the pose of the man is very strange. I keep looking at him, just looking at him. You definately caught him in a strange pose. One pet peeve I have, the blown highlights of the window sill/rims behind him...

My first thought was a mandolin, then a banjo. Now I'm pretty sure it is neither, so we can rule out mandolin and banjo....

On the picture side of things: the pose of the man is very strange. I keep looking at him, just looking at him. You definately caught him in a strange pose. One pet peeve I have, the blown highlights of the window sill/rims behind him...

Ha ya his pose is kind of weird but he was sleeping so i couldnt help that. And the blown out highlights were actually a white light around a poster.

the instrument is a surbahar .

Like your picture. Maybe yes, the bright rim around the poster is a little distracting. But other then that: :thumbup:

pascal

i love it. i think a lot is said just in the position he's sleeping.

Interesting shot, it speaks volumes. The contrast between the cleanliness of the building and sidewalk compared to the subject is striking. And B&W was appropriate for this image IMO. I most likely am mistaken, but is that instrument a Sitar?

I on the other hand am not bothered by the blow highlights. Had you exposed for the h-lights, then the remainder of the shot would be grossly underexposed. My pet peeve, complaining about highlights and not realizing the what and why.

Interesting shot, it speaks volumes. The contrast between the cleanliness of the building and sidewalk compared to the subject is striking. And B&W was appropriate for this image IMO. I most likely am mistaken, but is that instrument a Sitar?

I on the other hand am not bothered by the blow highlights. Had you exposed for the h-lights, then the remainder of the shot would be grossly underexposed. My pet peeve, complaining about highlights and not realizing the what and why.

Thanks for the comments

i like this picture

i am interested in this man. the ability to play a bass sitar isnt something you learn overnight or even on your own. plus the instrument probably wasnt cheap. of all of the instruments to play.....why the bass sitar? trained musician?

just from what i can see on this pic......he doesnt look homeless.
his clothes and shoes seem to be in decent shape.

maybe he is just a poor musician

nice pic btw.......i keep going back and looking at it :thumbup:

i like this picture

i am interested in this man. the ability to play a bass sitar isnt something you learn overnight or even on your own. plus the instrument probably wasnt cheap. of all of the instruments to play.....why the bass sitar? trained musician?

just from what i can see on this pic......he doesnt look homeless.
his clothes and shoes seem to be in decent shape.

maybe he is just a poor musician

Ya your right, probably a poor musician trying to make a living. Thanks for the comment and thanks sam

even if he is just trying to make a few extra bucks still a very powerful image. i love it, its powerful because it shows the extent some go to, to make money, forget sitting in a cubicle and complaining that its to stuffy in the office, there are those out on the cold streets trying to just make a couple bucks by doing something they picked up probably on the streets.

even if he is just trying to make a few extra bucks still a very powerful image. i love it, its powerful because it shows the extent some go to, to make money, forget sitting in a cubicle and complaining that its to stuffy in the office, there are those out on the cold streets trying to just make a couple bucks by doing something they picked up probably on the streets.

absolutely!!

for some reason i keep going back to this image. very powerful as you said.

there aren't that many shots posted at this forum that make me really "look" at them the way this one has and to keep me looking as well.

to the OP-
i neglected to say this earlier:
very well composed. very interesting subject. good eye!!

excellent capture :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Most reactions

Back