Hon Headshots

If it's a headshot, why can't I see all of her head?????
This^^ I really dislike headshots with the top of the head hacked off. They just look sloppy and poorly composed to me.

At the end it is your opinion but look around you, in ads, magazines etc.. Best photographers cut of heads, it is modern style.. To me, I like it way better than all empty space over the heads that you can also see alot but not in ads nor magazines..
Because photographers are printed in magazines or because they chop the top of heads off does not make them "Best" in any way whatsoever in my opinion. I know many amateurs that are far better than many so-called "Professionals". Cutting the top of the head off may be a modern "Style" but so is turning everything yellow which I also dislike.

They are your photos and you may do as you wish with them but in my opinion there are far more people that prefer to see heads without the top chopped off than there are who like to see them chopped off. In my opinion it is a fad that will blow over sooner or later.

I also did not state that you had to leave a lot of space over the head, just not chop the top of it off. Barely clearing the top is just fine with me.

Just my opinion but I am not a big fan of both catchlights being the same brightness especially in close up shots. Again... just a matter of personal taste. I would have either made the lower catch light (reflector?) less brighter or cloned it out completely.

At the end it is your opinion but look around you, in ads, magazines etc.. Best photographers cut of heads, it is modern style.. To me, I like it way better than all empty space over the heads that you can also see alot but not in ads nor magazines..
Because photographers are printed in magazines or because they chop the top of heads off does not make them "Best" in any way whatsoever in my opinion. I know many amateurs that are far better than many so-called "Professionals". Cutting the top of the head off may be a modern "Style" but so is turning everything yellow which I also dislike.

They are your photos and you may do as you wish with them but in my opinion there are far more people that prefer to see heads without the top chopped off than there are who like to see them chopped off. In my opinion it is a fad that will blow over sooner or later.

I also did not state that you had to leave a lot of space over the head, just not chop the top of it off. Barely clearing the top is just fine with me.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it is a fad.. But for me it does something important, it gets you closer to the eye.. then you can get a better connection with the subject.. Best photographers vs amatures, surely there are very good photographers that they are not known as best photographers for a reason or another.. But at the end if your photography is just for a hobby you can do what ever you want, but if it is business.. you have to change with the change of the market and style every now and then because you want to sell not only do what you like..

Everything yellow? If you mean in my photos, I have suffered with comments on my color balance untill I got my screen calibrated regularly and I don't have these comments anymore since a long while.. Then I would recommend that you calibrate your screen:) if you are talking about professionals doing that, it is true that they do it alot but in fashion shots and not portraits..

Finally I didn't say that you said keep alot of dead space on top, I am just saying that I see that alot everywhere espcially in forums and I don't like that.. So if more people are doing that.. it doesn't mean it is correct and viceversa..

Everything yellow? If you mean in my photos, I have suffered with comments on my color balance untill I got my screen calibrated regularly and I don't have these comments anymore since a long while.. Then I would recommend that you calibrate your screen:) if you are talking about professionals doing that, it is true that they do it alot but in fashion shots and not portraits..
No, sorry. It is certainly NOT With your shots, the color in yours is excellent. And, yes, my screen is regularly calibrated.

I don't mean to offend, I like the lighting and the girl is very pretty, but in the first photo does her wrist REALLY look like that? I swear to god it looks like her ulna (yeah I Googled, what of it? :) ) bone is distorted. It might just be the perspective and lighting but...yeah...

If that's how it really is then I'm sorry.

I don't mean to offend, I like the lighting and the girl is very pretty, but in the first photo does her wrist REALLY look like that? I swear to god it looks like her ulna (yeah I Googled, what of it? :) ) bone is distorted. It might just be the perspective and lighting but...yeah...

If that's how it really is then I'm sorry.

Honestly I noted that earlier but I thought no one noticed.. that said, her ulna is normal but as you said maybe the prespective distorted it.. I had to google that to know what you were talking about :)

Check out my other thread "Hon" also in the professional gallery and check out her beautiful figure and ulna :) There are full body shots in there..

Thank you for commenting.

If it's a headshot, why can't I see all of her head?????
This^^ I really dislike headshots with the top of the head hacked off. They just look sloppy and poorly composed to me.

I think the problem you all are having is because you're confusing headshots with fashion shots and portraiture. These aren't really headshots, which are by definition and usage, not cropped so tightly. Headshots generally include the whole head and are for getting work. These are too cropped for that, but then these are really fashion shots instead. Fashion shots are often cropped; it's nothing new. Think any fashion mag cover or cosmetics ad. The posing is an issue for me; don't like the ulna in 1 and her right arm in 2. Also would recommend that if the model is going to have portfolio shots done, she retouches her roots. It would make her hair look cleaner and shinier and more attractive.

I actually like the close up shot of the gal. The cutting of a part of the head in that image doesn't bother me that much whereas in the mid close up it's kinda bothering me a little. But yeah, at the end it's all about different perspective of different people

I have to admit I've cut of the head before, here's an older photo that shows my amateur ways of headshot cutoff... Haha

e4ujy4yq.jpg

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You really should have worked the shots so that she looks naked. #2 gives it away that she is not.

I think the problem you all are having is because you're confusing headshots with fashion shots and portraiture. These aren't really headshots, which are by definition and usage, not cropped so tightly. Headshots generally include the whole head and are for getting work. These are too cropped for that, but then these are really fashion shots instead. Fashion shots are often cropped; it's nothing new. Think any fashion mag cover or cosmetics ad. The posing is an issue for me; don't like the ulna in 1 and her right arm in 2. Also would recommend that if the model is going to have portfolio shots done, she retouches her roots. It would make her hair look cleaner and shinier and more attractive.

Thank you for the comment and the tip on the hair roots and the end.. I think this is helpful and I will be taking care of that in future shots..

Regarding the fashion/head shots confusion. I don't mean to be offensive to anyone and to in specific, but I want to get this off my chest.. If someone doesn't like a certain style that doesn't mean it is wrong and others can not do.. Please google "best headshots" and click "images".. 85% of the photos are landscape orientation and heads chopped off.. Again, I am not saying what I am doing is THE correct thing.. I just saw simular photos and I liked it so I took shots like that I liked them and the model loved them! I have read the composition rules and I made such images and will do again because in my opnion it is nice, simple and different!

I actually like the close up shot of the gal. The cutting of a part of the head in that image doesn't bother me that much whereas in the mid close up it's kinda bothering me a little. But yeah, at the end it's all about different perspective of different people

Thank you for you comment and opinion :)

I have to admit I've cut of the head before, here's an older photo that shows my amateur ways of headshot cutoff... Haha

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did such crops also when I started, I thought it is artistic :) But this time I did it on porpose and most famous pros do that.. please google best headshots and tell me what you see :)

You really should have worked the shots so that she looks naked. #2 gives it away that she is not.

Thanks alot for this comment.. That is very true and when I saw it I was like I wish I can take them again without it.. but it was too late.. I will be getting them in strapless tops next time for simular type of shots..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back