Honest fast critique needed

joemc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have to turn this shot over to the kids manager tomorrow.

The scar on his face is suppose to stay.... as is his boyish appearance.....

Please all input is valued.

Please view large as this will be poster sized.

Cheers, joe

Last edited:
Composition and lighting are good.

Facial expression looks bored to me. Skin tone looks very unnatural.

Can we see the SOOC version? His skin looks very blotchy and his eyes are over sharpened. I also think the big OOF hand/end of the violin is distracting...while I love the DOF, it's *too* OOF and too big.

Thanks ...what you are seeing is the "print version"... most that do a lot of printing know about sharpening...and what you have to do with it to print....

The OOF on the hand was a DOF choice...(that I am second guessing now)... I may darken that area of the shot to take the eye from it.... They have already picked this as a proof ... I just needed to refine it.

Thanks a ton.
Joe

I think it's good, go with it and be confident about your decision.

most that do a lot of printing know about sharpening.

I'm not a moron...I know about sharpening and I still think you've OVER-sharpened the eyes. But that's JMO. I also know enough about printing to recognize that his face is going to print blotchy.

Don't ask for "honest critique" if you don't want it.

I'm not a moron...I know about sharpening and I still think you've OVER-sharpened the eyes. But that's JMO. I also know enough about printing to recognize that his face is going to print blotchy.

Yep... I wanted honest critique and I was just being honest in the version that I posted... I guess where I went wrong is a should have re-edited a version for web viewing...my bad!

Cheers, Joe

Thanks for your feedback.!

Farrah... I don't see where anyone called you a moron... :raisedbrow:

I also agree about the DOF issue with the hand. Not sure how to best explain this, but it kind of throws me off with how OOF the hand is and the fact the sweater right behind it is in focus; it kind of makes it pop out a little bit more.

The hand is definitely bothersome, it steals all the attention because it is almost the brightest thing in the photo so people's eye will naturally be drawn to it. You might want to try burning (darken) it.

First thing I notice is that darn scar (which I know you have to deal with). The second is the eyes which I like sharp, but Farrah is a pretty awesome photographer so her opinion is probably worth listening to. I like the picture personally, wish the hand was a little less blurry... not that big of a deal. If the picture is to be a poster, I think the face will steal the attention. I may hit that scar with the dodge tool if it was mine.

Great angle!

Was this studio shot? Where were your lights?

I rarely say this but I hate the skin tones. Not saying that it should be a porcelain doll unless he has a dirty unshaved face, it looks horrible.
Otherwise, good lighting, composition.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back