Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Day shot

3234545959_cfc52d4c78_b.jpg

Night shot

3235395894_18ff23dac9_b.jpg

A few early attempts at HDR. Let me know what you think :)

They just are unrealistic to me. I have tried and tried and tried to do these myself, and right when I think I'm close I walk away for a few minutes, come back and I'm just not happy.

I understand the idea behind HDR, but I've pretty much given up and I'm working on my RAW processing to "pull out" all the hidden tones I can.

I like the first one, A LOT!

It makes me feel warm for a minute, until I look outside and see more than a foot of snow on the ground!

They just are unrealistic to me. I have tried and tried and tried to do these myself, and right when I think I'm close I walk away for a few minutes, come back and I'm just not happy.

I understand the idea behind HDR, but I've pretty much given up and I'm working on my RAW processing to "pull out" all the hidden tones I can.

Most of the ones I've done look fairly unrealistic, but I just think that it's the style of HDR. I kinda like the unrealistic, painting-like feel.

I like the first one, A LOT!

It makes me feel warm for a minute, until I look outside and see more than a foot of snow on the ground!

It's 9am on the west coast and a sunny 75 degrees right now :lol: and thank you for the good words

Yes i think these work quite well... maybe a tad too much orange saturation in the night shot, but generally well processed. :thumbup:

Yes i think these work quite well... maybe a tad too much orange saturation in the night shot, but generally well processed. :thumbup:

thanks :) I'm still working on my HDR technique...usually I have a bit too much saturation and the colors are a bit glaring

I'm relatively new to HDR myself... my two cents would be the following:

The first shot was very nice, not over saturated at all IMHO; I would, however, apply a little more sharpening and bump the contrast up slightly to bring out a bit more edge detail. :thumbup:

The second shot, while nicely blended, was soft looking and seemed just slightly out of focus as a result. Perhaps some additional "tonal contrast" applied and/or high pass sharpening would probably do the trick. Granted, the tonal contrast is going to change the "perfect" exposure ideal of the HDR but it will punch it up a bit and, to me, make the image pop more. :D

Overall, very nice work. Wish I could go there sometime!

I really enjoy HDR shots and hope to venture into it soon.... that being said I love the second photo. I'm guessing these were taken from a cruise ship from the look of the railing/deck in the second photo. I really like that view.....I think teh railing/deck provides a nice break if that makes any sense.

Great Shots

I've been trying to learn HDR and I'm new to photography...so my .02 is not worth anything nor do I have the "eye" that everyone around here does.

But, I really like the first one. The color of the water just reminds me of some of the cruise's I've been on. I think it's a beautiful picture and I can only hope that some day I will even come close to being able to HDR a picture like this one.

Most of the pictures I see in HDR seem a little unrealistic, but I think that's the beauty in them. Just like portraits and they touch them up, soften the skin, take away blemishes...they are what you want to see and unrealistic. That's the beauty of them.

Are you using Photomatix? Great shots, not sure if you were going for the vivid/saturated look but if you weren't I'd say bump it down a tad and they would look even better...

Great shots though, beautiful place :thumbup:

I'm relatively new to HDR myself... my two cents would be the following:

The first shot was very nice, not over saturated at all IMHO; I would, however, apply a little more sharpening and bump the contrast up slightly to bring out a bit more edge detail. :thumbup:

The second shot, while nicely blended, was soft looking and seemed just slightly out of focus as a result. Perhaps some additional "tonal contrast" applied and/or high pass sharpening would probably do the trick. Granted, the tonal contrast is going to change the "perfect" exposure ideal of the HDR but it will punch it up a bit and, to me, make the image pop more. :D

Overall, very nice work. Wish I could go there sometime!

I really enjoy HDR shots and hope to venture into it soon.... that being said I love the second photo. I'm guessing these were taken from a cruise ship from the look of the railing/deck in the second photo. I really like that view.....I think teh railing/deck provides a nice break if that makes any sense.

Great Shots

I've been trying to learn HDR and I'm new to photography...so my .02 is not worth anything nor do I have the "eye" that everyone around here does.

But, I really like the first one. The color of the water just reminds me of some of the cruise's I've been on. I think it's a beautiful picture and I can only hope that some day I will even come close to being able to HDR a picture like this one.

Most of the pictures I see in HDR seem a little unrealistic, but I think that's the beauty in them. Just like portraits and they touch them up, soften the skin, take away blemishes...they are what you want to see and unrealistic. That's the beauty of them.

I really like them both they are amazing.

Thanks for all the nice comments, everyone :) HDR isn't too hard to do, just takes patience and making sure you have 3 perfectly (or nearly perfectly) aligned images because it makes it much easier and you get less weird flaring. I'll post up an example if I can find one.

Are you using Photomatix? Great shots, not sure if you were going for the vivid/saturated look but if you weren't I'd say bump it down a tad and they would look even better...

Great shots though, beautiful place :thumbup:

Yeah, I use Photomatix for the HDR processing then Photoshop CS4 for further editing. I think I opened them up in Camera Raw, if you know how to use that cool feature.

Most reactions

Back