Honoring your prices for how long

Johnboy2978

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.johncountsphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not sure what forum to put this in. My question is how long you honor the prices for a service for future re-prints. Suppose you shoot a wedding today and tell the couple they can get prints for $x.00 If they come back to you in the future, how long would you honor what you told them initially as prices tend to rise as your experience grows. Is 1 year fair? 2? 5? What are your thoughts?

You should generally tell them up front how long the price is good for. A deadline also helps to get them motivated.

Failing that, it would depend on the order. No more than a year surely.

;)

I think a year seems fair. If they want more prints after that, they can pay your current rates at that time.

if it wasn't mentioned then after a year . . . if you plan on changing from $0.00 then i would tell them now, and give them a couple months or however long to order.

A year was what I had in mind initially. They were married in May and just now got around to ordering their pics yesterday. They said that their parents may order some as well in the future and thought I should ask around to see how long to tell them the price is good for. Thanks for the input and any other suggestions to follow.

I would say a year, as everyone else.

I would also say that in the future, you should specify this in your contract that the prices are only good for a year, afterwhich they are subject to change without notice.

When I was still in the wedding business when I felt the need to raise prices, I contacted the couple and gave them a last chance to purchase at the old price. This stimulated sales. Also, when I got out of the business I let them know, and gave them the opportunity to purchase the negs. With digital, you could sell the CD and single use rights. A friend does this on the first anniversary to clear his files and stimulate further sales. I question his logic as I think that is too early. It also prevents the extra prints that might be ordered on the first or fifth anniversary.

P.S. Don't forget the cheapest thing to change is your price list. Don't like it, throw it out.

My order form has the statement (quite common)..."Prices subject to change without notice".

I have, however, been able to hold prices steady for the last 3 years with only minor exceptions.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back