Hood of Fire

Ive always been envious of people that can pull shots like this off. I have tried many times but to no avail.

You mentioned you werent too sure about the post done on this image. I personally feel that the image is lacking a little bit of contrast. So I gave it a quick bash a quick edit:

$web version.jpg

Looking at it here, I might have been slightly enthusiastic in my rendition. Nevertheless, here is my process:
Working in sRGB colour space.

1. Apply a slight unsharp mask
  • Amount: 58%,
  • Radius: 1.2px, and
  • threshold: 0

2. Applied a brightness/contrast adjustment with setting:

• Brightness: +2 and
  • contrast: +22

3. Applied a Curves adjustment with a rather aggressive 'S' curve pulling the shadows down and increasing the highlights.

4. Did local burn adjustments to the log area to darken it slightly and remove the purple 'haze' that was present.

5. Opened reduced noise with settings:
  • Luminance: 13,
  • Detail: 71,
  • Contrast: 15,
  • Colour: 24 and
  • Detail: 50

6. Dodged some areas on the milky way to make it pop a bit more.

Ended up getting a bit more carried away than I intended haha, but included all the steps I took. And again I just want to reiterate how much I love this shot, regardless of edit :D

Ryanwaff, thanks for the suggestions. I haven't had time to try them myself, but I appreciate the detailed explanation of what you did. I like your results, and I should imagine it will be even better making those adjustments to the original RAW file as opposed to the jpeg you had to work from. I'll give it a shot as soon as I have more time!

How did you shot these? They are amazing!

Most reactions

Back