hopefully a simple fix in cs3?

hawee99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,
When I open an image these days in photoshop, it is labeled "open" in the layers palette instead of "background" and there is no padlock image next to it either. In the past, it would be labeled "background" and have a padlock next to it and I could double click it to unlock it and be on my way. Well now that's changed. Does this make any sense? Let me know. Thanks

I wish I had photoshop to be able to help you. Bump to the top though :er:

In the past, it would be labeled "background" and have a padlock next to it and I could double click it to unlock it and be on my way.

I don't know why your images aren't opening as locked background layers. But you can change it to a background layer by going to Layer > New > Layer From Background.

What I'm wondering, though, is why you would want to unlock the background layer in the first place. It is locked for a reason: to protect it from being edited directly. Best practice is to use adjustment layers for such edits as curves, hue/saturation, levels, selective color, etc. Avoid making destructive edits to image pixels whenever possible.

I am mainly unlocking them because they are simple snapshots that I just need to rotate using the transform tool. And this option is not available when it is locked, or in this new foreign "open" mode

The new layer from background did seem to work. So thanks for that. But its still driving me crazy why they are opening different all the sudden! hahah

oh but now....!!!! I can't flatten the image to save as a JPEG. And I am already in RGB mode 8 bits.

I am mainly unlocking them because they are simple snapshots that I just need to rotate using the transform tool. And this option is not available when it is locked, or in this new foreign "open" mode

Just to be sure I understand, when you open the image, the word "Open" takes the place of "Background" as shown here?

backgroundlr.jpg

yup you understand exactly. and there is no padlock icon. and nothing happens when i double click it. i have google searched alot and can't find an answer so I appreciate any help on here

yup you understand exactly. and there is no padlock icon. and nothing happens when i double click it. i have google searched alot and can't find an answer so I appreciate any help on here

I would try replacing the Preferences file. Just drag it from its folder onto the desktop and start Photoshop. It will create a new one. If that doesn't solve the problem, you can restore the old Prefs file.

hahaha well I thought of this option, but didn't try it because I didn't think it would work. workspace -> default workspace. and now it is back to normal. weird. ha I always feel so dumb when stupid things like that happen to me in photoshop and I discover its cause I had numLOCK on or something. jeeeez

I would try replacing the Preferences file. Just drag it from its folder onto the desktop and start Photoshop. It will create a new one. If that doesn't solve the problem, you can restore the old Prefs file.

I agree, you can also reset the preferences file by opening PS while holding down the Ctrl+Shift+Alt keys.

Edit:
Nevermind, I see you got it.

Most reactions

Back