Horse Head and Flame Nebulae

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The Horse Head and Flame Nebulae! The constellation Orion is one of the most recognizable in the winter sky, and it contains some awesome objects to view and image. Here is a deep dive into the Horse Head and Flame Nebulae. Imaged over two nights from my Bortle 5/6 back yard, the dark column of gas in the center resembles a horse's head, and it's flanked on the lower left by the lighter Flame Nebula.

-Astro-Tech AT130EDT 130mm f/7 telescope with a 0.8x reducer, making it a 728mm focal length, f/5.6 scope.
-ZWO ASI2600MC Pro cooled camera
-ZWO EAF focuser
-iOptron HAE43 Strain Wave Gear mount
-Optolong L-Pro light polution filter
-Pegasus Astro Mini Powerbox
-Orion 60mm guide scope
-Orion Starshoot autoguider
-Controlled with a MeLE Quieter3Q mini PC running Windows

Software
-Sequence Generator Pro for acquisition
-PixInsight and Photoshop for image processing
-PHD2 guiding software

-132 x 180sec subexposures
-calibrated with 15 each darks, flats, and dark flats
-Total integration time of 6.6hrs

Horsehead and Flame Nebulae 15 November 2023.jpg

Such a great image. One I hope to get once I astro mod one of my cameras.

Nominated for POTM
Wow, thank you!

I have an astro modified Nikon D610. I had it done through Spencer's Cameras and I opted for the visible spectrum plus Ha filter, with the heat sync option. It works quite well. If I had to do it over, I wouldn't choose the D610, though, only because it does not adjust the exposure in live view, so you can't increase the exposure to see the stars when focusing.

This is amazing! Excellent work of this beautiful phenomenon. Love it!

You have outdone yourself! Happy to see it in POTM, well deserved entry - Awesome picture straigjht out of a (high end) astronomy book in my (albeit quite ignorant!) opinion. Beautiful.

Another great image.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back