hotel interior shots

MGY

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
dsc8388.jpg

i think this is the perfect excuse to get the Tokina 11-16mm :lol: Other than the fact that the sides are cut off, is this okay?
dsc8390.jpg

what do you guys think?

Your WB is set much too warm in both shots and I belive they are underexposed.

Your PoV is pretty boring. I would see this very thing if I were to just walk in off the street.

The grand staircase is obviously a show piece for the lobby and you've cut off the outside of both railings in #1. The chandelier poking into the top of the frame breaks continuity.

The informmation display stand by the left column in #2 takes away any potential interest of what might be in the sitting area beyond. Having people in the scene may certainly be an enhancement, but having them so far back and barely distinguishable is of little significance.

^^^ +1

I do a lot of this professionally, and I think Aye has basically nailed it.

In the first picture, while the stairs are cut off in the same places, your floor line is not straight and that is what makes the picture to me look off. Like you were standing at an angle trying to get a straight on shot?
I like the second, but it seems like there is a lot of empty space before any actual point.

thanks, everyone. that is what I thought too. In the first photo, I was all the way back to the side of the table already. If I were to make the shot perfectly symmetrical, then I wouldn't even have captured the carpet on the stairs so I decided to angle it. The only way for me to get everything in the shot was to include some of the table and chair like this:

dsc8389.jpg

I didn't even notice that I cut off the chandelier in the #1 and that there was an information sign in #2. thanks for pointing those out.

If you can't get the classic symmetrical shot right on, then I think it's not worth having. Any slight variation off axis will be easily noticeable as an error, intentional or not.

I agree that people would help a lot. I would try to get into the head of the architect a little, and shoot what you think he/she may have envisioned. For example, the 2 curved spaces frame an empty waiting area? People were probably part of the vision somewhere.

It's nice that the verticals stay vertical. What kind of lens did you use?

If you can't get the classic symmetrical shot right on, then I think it's not worth having. Any slight variation off axis will be easily noticeable as an error, intentional or not.

I agree that people would help a lot. I would try to get into the head of the architect a little, and shoot what you think he/she may have envisioned. For example, the 2 curved spaces frame an empty waiting area? People were probably part of the vision somewhere.

It's nice that the verticals stay vertical. What kind of lens did you use?

Thanks. That is a great tip. I had originally wanted people to be in the frame, but I used a 3 second exposure so the people would have been very blurred. Also, it was taken at night and most of the people were already sleeping. Believe it or not, I used a Nikon 18-55 since that is the widest lens I own. None of the shots have any PP.

Most reactions

Back