Hound Tor

Moriarty

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Here are some photos I took in Hound Tor. Like? Dislike?

Hound Tor#1
InsideHoundTor1.jpg

Hound Tor#2
InsideHoundTor2.jpg

Hound Tor#3
InsideHoundTor4.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

I like #3 the best. It's the sharpest in focus, and has lots of interest to look at...the texture of the rocks, the coloration, the dramatic skies etc. I like how in 1 and 2 you have included a person, which gives perspective to show how big the rocks are, but those shots just aren't as vibrant in colour as #3.

love it love it love it!

that refers to the place, I love dartmoor ... I do spend a lot of time there (although I think i never posted any images from dartmoor here).

now for the pictures, # one and # two have the typical dartmoor weather problem of a greyish white sky and dark foreground, so it is hard to expose both correctly.

#1 is a bit boring in terms of perspective/compostion. Of course the granite formation itself makes it somewhat interesting. (A boring picture of an interesting object can be interesting in a way, but it is not optimal). that person on the picture is good for giving some impression of the scale, but it looks a bit out of place.

#2 is much better in that respect, there is a problem with white balance though (sky colour)
. The person in this one again is good for the scale/size impression, and it fits into the image much better and in a much more natural way than in #1.

#3 i like shots of details like this, but being totally centred on the rock is not an exiting perspective. ... Tors often go quite well (photography-wise) if you have the rock in the foreground, on one third of the picture and then you see the landscape in the background in the other 2 thirds. ... or similar compositions.

All have some problems with sharpness and I guess you had one of those rainy days ;)

sorry if this was such a harsh critizism! But beliebe me, many of my own images don't look much better than #1 and #3 .. it is not always easy to get photos there :) So keep shooting.

Thanks for sharing and reminding me of my own pesonal memories with that tor ;) :)

interesting subject matter, but something seems a bit off with the first two. they are soft and maybe overexposed? the 3rd is the best, the colors are better and there is more detail. looks like a neat area. :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back