House fire!!!

wxnut

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dougraflikphotography.com
First picture was taken as the fire trucks were pulling up. Its a 4 second exposure.

219fdlstreet1.jpg

Seeing that I would have trouble getting decent pictures, they put some bright lights on the scene so I wouldnt have to use such long exposures. :) (so nice of them to be a photographer friendly fire department)

2. I LOVE this picture. The lone fireman with no equipment looking at the HUGE house on fire. Its actually the assistant chief doing a size up as the trucks and equipment get set up.

219fdlstreet2.jpg

219fdlstreet3.jpg

219fdlstreet4.jpg

219fdlstreet5.jpg

219fdlstreet6.jpg

219fdlstreet7.jpg

219fdlstreet8.jpg

Fire department did a great job at stopping this fire.

Doug Raflik

Wow very nice series. Looks like some of what I would see in the paper.

Nice series. But your lack of compassion kind of bothers me. That's someone's home burning. I know there was nothing you could do at the scene, but I kind of take issue with the nonchalant nature of your comments here.

But they're still great shots though.

How would you see a lack of compession in someone who photographs these photos? He has neither mentioned nor NOT mentioned his inner feelings, he's only just presenting us these photos. I don't understand the comment... This is the Photojournalism Gallery. Should all photographers of catastrophe or war scenes plunge themselves into the fray, inexpertly, just to show compassion?

Yes, I was going to ask for the story behind this, what caused the fire, how many involved, lower floors still inhabitable? and all that, but the fact that nothing of the kind has been mentioned upon first presenting these photos does not mean to me that Doug felt all and completely detached and uninvolved... and without compassion...

Seeing that I would have trouble getting decent pictures, they put some bright lights on the scene so I wouldnt have to use such long exposures. :) (so nice of them to be a photographer friendly fire department)

2. I LOVE this picture...

How would you see a lack of compession

Are you serious?

Hey, I'm not asking for him to shed a tear or anything. No moral crime was committed and I'm not THAT offended, don't worry. ;) I'm just saying he could have been a bit more tact about it.

Nice series. But your lack of compassion kind of bothers me. That's someone's home burning. I know there was nothing you could do at the scene, but I kind of take issue with the nonchalant nature of your comments here.

Actually from the sounds of things, the fact that he knew the Chief was doing a size up and he credited the FD with a good stop he has photographed a fire or two, or could even be in public safety. But from reading the post there is nothing that indications a lack of anything.

Are you serious?

Hey, I'm not asking for him to shed a tear or something. This wasn't some super huge sin or anything. I'm not THAT offended, don't worry. ;) I'm just saying he could have been a bit more tact.

Your kidding right?

What he typed is called sarcasm.

Lighting up a fire scene is standard practice so they can see what they are doing. It's not like he asked them put to up lights for his benefit.

I dont want to add fuel to the fire (um.... omg that was aweful) but I think Dubious Drewski may be taking what I said wrong. As far as saying that I LOVE that picture. Has nothing to do with how bad I feel for the owners and the firemen that put thier lifes at risk. Why cant a good picture come out of a tragic event? When the page came over, the dispatcher said the caller was hysterical. My stomach tied into an instant knot and my heart just dropped as I could only imagine how aweful it must be to go through that. But that doesnt mean I cant go to the scene and take pictures. Which by the way are donated to the fire department for records and training.

So like in this case... This tornado damaged 2 houses. Does that mean I can not say this is a GOOD picture?

storm8.jpg

And yes the comment about the lights was sarcasm. Thought that would be funny to a bunch of photographers.

I guess I just dont know how I should have presented my words. Its not like I was jumping for joy that this was happening so I could get a good shot. Its bad yes, but I happend to get some nice shots that I wanted to share.

Doug Raflik

That tornado shot is wild......I can feel the power! Great shots on fire too....

wxnut- the tornado pic is one of the best i have seen. awesome capture :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

fan of Warren Faidley by any chance?

When I saw the second shot, I thought that would be one to have been something the local rag should run. Great shot and series. Good for you to be published and the donation of your work for the fire department.

I got your sarcasm and probably would have had a similar line. Doesn't discredit you or de-emphasize the gravity of the situation.

The tornado shot is awesome. That's worth an enlargement and hanging on a wall.

Thanks for sharing.

Most reactions

Back