How about keeping 2 brands?

rsalles64

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I´m mostly a canon user, just bought a 60D (have not received it yet) but the idea of knowing other brands is itching each time more.

So i want to buy a D7000 with a 16-85mm, so i get to know nikon too. My question is: Is it worth it? Probably i will get the same results that i get with canon, but i was thinking that knowing other brands and the streng of each could make me a better photographer...

If you got the money, go for it. I on the other hand would rather pick a brand and use my money on lenses and other accessories like flash ect.

I do not know about making you a better photographer ... but I am sure that should make you a happier photographer :lol:

A photographer friend of mine shoots mostly Canon, he probably has $30,000+ worth of Canon gear, but he also carries a Nikon D700 with a single Nikon lens.

if your aim is mostly for hoping to improve your skills knowing the strength of both, more likely than not you won't really be achieving that and you won't learn the strengths-weaknesses of a system based on a single lens either. rather invest more into your canon system and photographic knowledge (technical aspect, artistic elements) than dabbling in another system...the only thing you'll get out of it is being brand aware lol...

as for Big Mike, do you happen to know why he chose to do that? would be interested to know.

If you buy the Nikon, you'll understand from first-hand experience the difference in ergonomics and design ethos between Canon and Nikon. I have Nikon and Canon systems. They are quite different.

I´m mostly a canon user, just bought a 60D (have not received it yet) but the idea of knowing other brands is itching each time more.

So i want to buy a D7000 with a 16-85mm, so i get to know nikon too. My question is: Is it worth it? Probably i will get the same results that i get with canon, but i was thinking that knowing other brands and the streng of each could make me a better photographer...

I think that its better to invest in one system, at least until you have a few good lenses.

If you bought a Canon with a kit lens and then a Nikon with a kit lens, you could have bought a really nice lens for the price of the 2nd body.

For the price of the D7000, you could buy a Canon EF-S 17-55mm 2.8 IS, 135mm f/2L, or 24-105mm f/4L for example.

Its even enough to get a 70-200mm f/4L IS or 24-70 2.8L if you count the price of the Nikon 16-85mm.

I am not saying that Nikon on Canon is better here. They each have their own strengths, and I think they both make great cameras and lenses.

What I am saying is that when you are first getting started its probably better to invest in one system.

This will allow you to get some good glass in front of your body, which will allow you to take really sharp and awesome photos.

Do what you feel is right though...

Hope this helps.

- Neil

I think that its better to invest in one system, at least until you have a few good lenses.
- Neil
First thanks to all for your answer...
I´m not begining now, my lenses are canon EFS 10-22mm ; canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS; and EF 50mm f/1.8II; EF 85mm f/1.8; extender EF 1.4x, and Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. Also got an old Sigma 28-300mm from film days, and 2 flashguns, 550EX and 420EX.
Really like canon and don´t intend to sell, just wanted to know the other side...
Best regards
Renato

I would say join a local camera club - chances are if its a goodsized club that you'll meet the "other side" (you might even meet one of those Pentax lot) and with good manners you might get to have a hold and a try with the other side.

I think that generally speaking most people focus down on one camera brand - as you gain experience and also develop your style and interests you might work your single brand toward those goals or decide that for a specific need you'll shift brands. For example you might really like landscape work and get a Nikon camera body and 12-24mm lens just for that purpose - or maybe you're a nikon shooter but you want to do 5:1 macro so you get a canon and an MPE65mm just for that.

I think that is a far better approach than just having a taste of the grass on the other side - as said by others the costs of investing in two systems is not light and investing cheaply in two systems is more likely just going to give you something that is a little different but not really enough to change your photography in a big way.

I would say join a local camera club - chances are if its a goodsized club that you'll meet the "other side" (you might even meet one of those Pentax lot) and with good manners you might get to have a hold and a try with the other side.
A guy in my local group shoots with an Olympus. Who does that?! lol :lmao:

Heh I'm still playing catchup to an Olympus photographer ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back