How am I doing so far?

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I want to start off saying that I dont have a SLR yet, but I am planning on getting one sometime this year. I do have a Kodak Easyshare Z885 camera for about a year now. Over the course of that year i have racked up about 1300 pictures. I am writing this because I wanted to see what all the seasoned pros thought of my mediocre photography skills. I wanted to put up some of my favorite pics that I got to see what everyone thought of theem. You can also watch my slideshow:
http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa215/Tamandua-Lover/?action=view&current=1767ebc3.pbw

Some of them are actually ones that I like because they look good photography-wise. The others are just ones that I might not think are the best but I liked what was in them so make sure you read the caption on every picture to see if it is one to criticize or just one that I threw up there becaue I liked what was in the picture. The good ones will say "good" in the cation. The ones that I just pt up there for no reason will say "no good". Any and all feedback is welcome whether its good or constructive criticism, both are encouraged. And to tell you in advance, it helps you ALOT to see the quality if you click on the picture to see the bigger version of it. Thanks for taking the time to look at my pics and for anything you can say about them in advance.

Taken from the passenger seat of the truck through the windshield at almost full zoom of a sparrow (I was told thats what it was). I know its blurry. Good
My four year old pug named princess lounging around. Good
My veiled chameleons tail. I took it to try out the macro feature of my camera and I was actually aazed at the quality for taking it with no flash. Good.
My aunts lab/rot/pit mix. I hurried and snapped the picture when I saw that the lighting was so amazing on him. One of my favorites. Good.
Again, my veiled chameleon but this tiem about to get a yumy cricket. Saved for quality and composition. Good.
One of those pics of a lifetime for me. Taken the saturday passed. Good.
again, trying to take a shot at my way of a macro pic. Good.
Taken mainly becuase of the mad loking turtle in the back of him. Looks like he was furious to me. No good, lighting is a little harsh I think.
This one is actually of a friends rat, Juno. Love the little pose she puts off here. Good.
Trying to go the macro thing once more. I know it should be cropped, but I like it. No Good.

Same thing as above. No good.
Taken right after a thunder shower. I got it because of the water drop that dripped as soon as I took the picture. it could be a little clearer though. Good
The same turtle in my personal pond as above. He is about 4 years old now and lets me get quite close to hi with a camera. I love the clarity and lighting of this one opposed to the turtle pic above. Good.
My youngest sister. I love the lighting of this picture. It just looks very photography-esk to me. In my top 2 favorites. Good.
Put on here because the goose (they called it a goose, I think its a duck) was beautiful at the time. Not too well cought on film. No Good.
The same "goose". I think its beauty was much better cought in this pic. Good.
Red kangaroo. Good.
Same as above. You choose.
The same golden crowned craines as above. I like the clarity and beautifullness of the craines in this picture. Good.
I forget the name, but its sone kind of very poisonous snake through glass with a flash. Took it because of the composition. Good.
Wanted to crop out the parent and just focus on the baby, but forgot. Picture it cropped. Good.
Nice profile of the same red kangaroos. Good.
She was stretching. No Good.
Great pic of the craine. Like the composition. Good.
Same as above. Good.

trixie-1.jpg

LOVE this one because of the lighting and composition as well. GREAT

Thanks again for taking the time out to look and I cant wait to hear all the comments to come.

Mark

Last edited:
I took it to try out the macro feature of my camera and I was actually aazed at the quality for taking it with no flash. Good.

is this saying that flash=quality? :confused: id only ever use flash in absolute low light situation as a last resort for light

lol id say alot of your composition is heavily centre weighted for the majority of the photos which gets generic and boring, read up on the rule of thirds?

i reallyreallyreally like the cat one though :)

I agree the last photo is the best of them all. There's a lot of photos here so I can't really comment on them all. The first three are kinda blurry which was really a drag 'cause I was looking forward to the picture of the tail. I enjoy the excitement you give off about taking photos. Keep shooting, if you think it's fun now, wait until you get into the DSLR stuff.

Hi, I have a couple of recommendations,

to make it easier on the people viewing and commenting on your pictures number them, so that is easy to reference back to them

Now I think your photos have potential, however I think that you could make a few improvements,

when taking pictures of animals try taking a picture while getting eye level with the animal, For me the last picture 'works' well because you are eye level with the subject. another tip would be to try having your main subject slightly off centred, google rule of thirds and see what I mean by this. of course rule of thirds isnt always going to be the best option, but many times a photo will be transformed when you follow that rule.

When you look at the picture of your little sister, do you see how bright her eyes are, using natural light in photographs is great, imagine if you had been facing her with her looking out the window, capturing a little bit more of her expression and using the natural lighting would be great.

Sometimes you will need to adjust your white balance to get truer colours, also maybe experiment with shutter speeds and aperture if your camera allows you too. most point and shoots allow you to change the white balance.

I cant see your snake picture, but i sugest next time turn your flash off when taking through glass and put your camera on a tripod, it will help with the flash reflection.

Nice start, keep shooting

is this saying that flash=quality? :confused: id only ever use flash in absolute low light situation as a last resort for light
No offense, but that statement is likely due to an improper understanding of lighting and techniques. Usually stated by someone that has never attempted flash photography other than the built-in flash on their camera.

lol id say alot of your composition is heavily centre weighted for the majority of the photos which gets generic and boring, read up on the rule of thirds?

i reallyreallyreally like the cat one though :)

dont forget you can use a flash to fill light too

Holy cow... waaaaaaaaaaay too many pictures in one post. Generally a good idea to post at most 2-3, generally in a tight theme if you can, so people can comment. Also great to let us know if you have any specific feedback you're looking for, but not as necessary.

Regardless, on a quick scan seems like you have some neat images. What's with the weird check pattern on the lightning one?

No offense, but that statement is likely due to an improper understanding of lighting and techniques. Usually stated by someone that has never attempted flash photography other than the built-in flash on their camera.

i admit i dont understand flash as well as i could but i know about bouncing off flash and filling light, and you cant really do that with point and shoot? i guess im talking from a point and shoot perspective here..=\

unless you mean something else?

is this saying that flash=quality? :confused:

No, I didnt mean that, but the camera I have doesn't do well with macros or pictures without using the flash and to have a macro without flash come out fairly well is an accomplishment kind of. If I use the VR feature, it becomes extremely blocky with alot of noise, which is a bad thing so thats out of the question.

Hi, I have a couple of recommendations,

to make it easier on the people viewing and commenting on your pictures number them, so that is easy to reference back to them
Will do.

When you look at the picture of your little sister, do you see how bright her eyes are, using natural light in photographs is great, imagine if you had been facing her with her looking out the window, capturing a little bit more of her expression and using the natural lighting would be great.
I appreciate the comments, but it was tremendously hard trying to get this shot and I was really lucky to get it in the first place giving how hyper she is. I will try to start off that way next time.

Sometimes you will need to adjust your white balance to get truer colours, also maybe experiment with shutter speeds and aperture if your camera allows you too. most point and shoots allow you to change the white balance.
Most of the pictures I posted here were "in-the-moment" kind of shots and I didnt really have time to do all this, plus my camera never really seems to work with all of this happening at the same time. Somethign always looks off, even if it shouldnt.

I cant see your snake picture, but i sugest next time turn your flash off when taking through glass and put your camera on a tripod, it will help with the flash reflection.
It was almost black in the "hot" (venomous snake) room and my camera didnt do well with suck a high ISO, so I had no choice than to use the flash, but will do next time.

Holy cow... waaaaaaaaaaay too many pictures in one post. Generally a good idea to post at most 2-3, generally in a tight theme if you can, so people can comment.
I copy-pasted this off of another forum I am on, They had no problem with it so I figured it would be okay here, will remember that though.

What's with the weird check pattern on the lightning one?
I have no idea, I guess it just kind of showed up like that being so dark with such a bright light? I dont know. never did that on any other picture Ive gotten before.

Thanks everyone so much for all of your feedback. I will definately look back to this for further reference. I cant wait to hear some more.:wink:

Mark

Most reactions

New Topics

Back