How are these pics processed?

dakkon76

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I was browsing a Flickr gallery today and came across a couple pics I really liked and I noticed they had the same look to them. I can't tell if they're just desaturated a little, or if there's also perhaps some sepia overlay maybe? Anyway, here are links to 2 pics from a guy named Jordan Voth... pretty inspiring photo stream he's got.

One

Two

I've got LR 3 and PS5, fyi.

That guy was posting here in the 'addicted to primes' thread - you could just ask him. I don't remember what his name was here, but look in that thread. He was posting pictures from the same Flickr account.

I see that he's trying to charge for his photoshop actions... so I didn't think he'd be too receptive.

well he used this, and photoshop CS5

it looks like he warned them quite a bit, added a hint of green, brought the highlights up quite a bit more than he brought the shadows down, de-satureated the master channel just a touch, and just composed the shot very well

look like there is some desat and red bump going on here.

I dont see anything special but a nice cam and lens. Possibly 35L wide open on the first one.

IMO, Its all about the lighting. While there is post processing as others have already specified, you need to start with a well exposed image. This guy is controlling light with reflectors to make sure that his subjects have good lighting while also being able to underexpose backgrounds.

Wow! PS5 is ancient. It was last available in early 1999.

Here's the reason for your high post count, Keith. Too bad there's not some tally to track your pissy:helpful ratio; man, that'd be a riot. It's a good thing you're in the clique, otherwise the majority of your posts would likely be torn apart for grammatical errors and just plain talking-out-your-ass and quickly get as off-topic as most of the posts you attempt to drag down. (feel free to point out my run-on sentence)

Everyone else, thanks.

looks like some sigma 85mm f1.4 action and possible a curve preset. You can find free curve presets from people that are not douche bags on google.

I use these alot. Just hit it with the preset and then you can tweek the curves to your liking. they work good on bw as well. plus there is one in there that is alomost identical to what he used.

Crossprocessing Curve Presets by =PederDingo on deviantART

Here's the reason for your high post count, Keith. Too bad there's not some tally to track your pissy:helpful ratio; man, that'd be a riot. It's a good thing you're in the clique, otherwise the majority of your posts would likely be torn apart for grammatical errors and just plain talking-out-your-ass and quickly get as off-topic as most of the posts you attempt to drag down. (feel free to point out my run-on sentence)

Everyone else, thanks.

So is it PS5 or CS5?

from people that are not douche bags on google.
Is this directed at someone in this thread?

Thanks for the replies, Goonies. It's CS 5, the latest and greatest. As far as lighting goes... that's my biggest challenge right now. I've got a reflector, but my wife refuses to hold it for me - she thinks she looks like a big dork! haha. I think that's part of the problem I'm having getting good contrast, my backgrounds are just a bit too dark... I mean, when I'm considering doing a separate layer for the background that's at a lower exposure... that's probably a dead give away that I recognize my problem :)

You could use flash just as well with the right modifier and power settings. Let the sun be the main light and use some off camera flash either with a wireless transmitter on a stand, or with a TTL cord with a flash-on-a-stick setup if you don't have someone to hold it.

You could try one of these to hold in one hand while shooting with the other. Easier to do if the camera is tripod mounted and/or if you have a grip.
Lastolite Limited, Photography Lighting control and Collapsible Photo Reflectors.

Here is an interesting shot...high profile professional shot of a celebrity using a single small round reflector held by the photographer.
How To: Five Professional Lighting Techniques | Popular Photography

Too bad there's not some tally
You have a ID-10-T error. There is 'some tally'. I have 779 likes, and the "Likes" IIRC the count started after I had 10,000 posts. There was a different post rating system before the current 'Likes' system was introduced, and I had one of the highest counts in the old system.

There was also a a PS Elements 5.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back