How big is your....

^ That almost seems unnecessary ;)

I'm of the opinion that if your work doesn't reside in at least three distinct USPS addresses, it really doesn't exist.

If I ever have a drive crash, or lose an image, I have at least two places I can go to to retrieve it.
Wow and all those folks in every other part of the world besides the good ole USA with cameras and computers must not really have any images at all.:wink: :lmao:

^ That almost seems unnecessary ;)

I'm of the opinion that if your work doesn't reside in at least three distinct USPS addresses, it really doesn't exist.

If I ever have a drive crash, or lose an image, I have at least two places I can go to to retrieve it.
Wow and all those folks in every other part of the world besides the good ole USA with cameras and computers must not really have any images at all.:wink: :lmao:

True, but on the upside they can buy the brand new Canon SL-1 in snowy white. So, there is that.

They won't when their one single hard drive crashes.

Or they accidently delete an image and don't discover it for a while.

Lol.. I think his objection wasn't so much to the idea of having off site backup but rather the fact that you stated that it had to be in separate USPS zip codes, meaning that you would have to be located in the US since they don't use zip codes elsewhere.

I burn non-critical crap off to high quality DVDs and occasionally blurays and then delete them off live storage. Anything critical I keep a copy of in one folder on my server and back that up periodically.

I also outright delete anything that's crap before it ever gets backed up.

It's a good way to force yourself to learn how to cull the stuff.

Lol.. I think his objection wasn't so much to the idea of having off site backup but rather the fact that you stated that it had to be in separate USPS zip codes, meaning that you would have to be located in the US since they don't use zip codes elsewhere.

Um... where did I say anything about ZIP codes? :er:

I think it was pretty much implied here - and I think that's what he was taking issue with.
Nah, all of my European friends realize that the only place to keep anything of value is at a USPS address, if of course you want it to exist. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

I think it was pretty much implied here - and I think that's what he was taking issue with.
Nah, all of my European friends realize that the only place to keep anything of value is at a USPS address, if of course you want it to exist. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Well I guess we can just all be thankful that they recently dropped that requirement from 5 to 3 then.. lol

Well I guess we can just all be thankful that they recently dropped that requirement from 5 to 3 then.. lol

Yeah, because they were all wanting to be exceedingly safe so they would ship their external hard drives by 5 different carriers. Big hassle and terribly expensive, not to mention how costly the thousands of miles of USB cable necessary to connect their drives to their computer. :mrgreen:

I cull super hard and keep only my 4 and 5 star images in LR. I don't need a crap load of storage because I dump a lot. I have two 1-TB external backups and have filled neither of them. Not even close. I only keep 5 LR backups at a time.

I don't think anyone taking pictures for fun does 500 GB of photos a year that are worth keeping.
That's about 35,000 good size pictures.
Let's say you edit 1/10 to 200 meg, so you're down to ~20,000 originals + edits.
That's about 400 keepers a week.

It isn't that your disks are too small, it's that you are keeping stuff that doesn't deserve the space.

I only get 16,000 photos per 500 GB of storage and that's without converting any of them.

Joe

I burn non-critical crap off to high quality DVDs and occasionally blurays and then delete them off live storage. Anything critical I keep a copy of in one folder on my server and back that up periodically.

DVD's dont last long

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

DVD's dont last long

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

DVDs and CDs CAN degrade, yes. However, in all of my CDs and DVDs... including the pack of about 300 that sit in my car on a car seat and cook all summer long... I have... to date... lost 2. And we're going back about 20 years now.

You will also recall I said high quality DVDs. I don't buy crap. The DVDs I buy are specifically tested and abused to **** to make sure they withstand some stupid amount of abuse. Of course, it's impossible to predict what time will bring, but I'm not buying these cheap $.10 things you get at Staples. (There's nothing really wrong with those, I'm just not banking anything more important on them)

AND you will also recall I said I keep the critical stuff on DVD AND on spinning disk AND on backups. We all take a heck of a lot of pictures... but how many of those will you REALLY care about if you lose them? And how many of those would you care about if you lost the RAW files? 10% would be a shockingly high number if you ask me.

I actually have two such volumes... one is family pictures. Those are ALL JPEGs. I don't give a crap if I lose the raw of some snapshot of my girls playing at Disney World. The other directory I keep is a MASTER RAWs directory, where I keep JPEG, TIFF, PSDs of my interpretations of the image AND the RAW. Those are any of the images I'm particularly proud of and would be DESTROYED if I lost them.

All the rest... meh. DVD works fine enough. If there's even a 1 in 10 chance I lose any given DVD it's worth it to not have to maintain and backup 10TB of storage all the damned time.

Thanks so much everyone! Well it looks like I'll keep with 2 large drives instead of going smaller for now and restart my process with some tweaks.

Lew I agree, I took and kept WAY WAY WAY more pictures in my first year and a bit then I do now and I'm still working towards better culling and less files taken and kept.

I don't think anyone taking pictures for fun does 500 GB of photos a year that are worth keeping.
That's about 35,000 good size pictures.
Let's say you edit 1/10 to 200 meg, so you're down to ~20,000 originals + edits.
That's about 400 keepers a week.

It isn't that your disks are too small, it's that you are keeping stuff that doesn't deserve the space.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back