How Can I Improve?

Cinka

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In an effort to get better at my craft, I've started taking pictures of household items.

This item was shot using:
Canon 40D
2 photo balanced florescents in standard floods (side and above)
photo light box
1/25 @ f4
ISO: 320

Right off the bat, I notice light spill on both sides, it's darker than I would like and it comes off as flat.

I can go to a slower shutter and a higher ISO, but I'm afraid of loosing sharpness and getting more grain. I want to shoot more product as part of my repertoire, but I feel like I need more/better light. The photo balanced lights don't seem to be cutting it.

Any thoughts? I have limited funds at the moment, but do want to eventually get an Alien Bees B800. Would that help in product?

Thanks!

mexvase.jpg

With this type of photo it's important to think outside the camera.
Lighting is probably the most important aspect of stills like this.
That and keep your perspective in mind...tilt with this type of shot is really distracting.
Keep up the good work, and get creative with your set up, then let your camera capture what you created. Don't let the camera create it.

What do you think about this? I leveled the base, adjusted exposure, sharpened and gave the vase a little saturation boost.

405814553_vBznh-L.jpg

What do you think about this? I leveled the base, adjusted exposure, sharpened and gave the vase a little saturation boost.

405814553_vBznh-L.jpg

Still pouring water out the right side. Think you did a tad to much with the PP.
Maybe some vignette adjustment.

Still pouring water out the right side. Think you did a tad to much with the PP.
I think this vase was made crooked; signs of a handmade item. I believe the base was properly leveled on my attempt. Too much pp? Did I sharpen or brighten too much? My bad, I thought she wanted a lot of light with the setup she described.

I think this vase was made crooked; signs of a handmade item. I believe the base was properly leveled on my attempt. Too much pp? Did I sharpen or brighten too much? My bad, I thought she wanted a lot of light with the setup she described.

If you put a grid on it you will see it is still just a hair to the right.
IMO darkening the background a bit will help. And maybe a little off the contrast, to take away the "reflection". That might be taken care of with a slight colorburn as well.

Yes, the object was made titled - handmade and all.

I think what I really want to accomplish as a photographer is to limit the amount of photoshopping I do and compensate in camera. I'm really good at Photoshop, but I don't want to rely so heavily on it.

How do I get rid of light spill in a light box? Seems most of my photos have it.

How big is your lightbox and how close did you have the lights to it?
Might be that the lights were to close to the box, creating a narrow "beam" of light to come through. Try scooting the lights back to where they the light beam is wider than the box.

Hmm I feel anyone can take that photo, you need to think more outside the box

Most reactions

New Topics

Back