How Can I?

lds463

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am going to take a b&w picture of a hallways with stairs leading down. However I want to position someone in the shadows but i want their eyes to glow so their bodies arent showing only their eyes. Like in scary movies...R there any ways to do this without photoshop?? Please no stupid answers like contacts.

Only ways I can think of involve photoshop or a stupid answer.

Stupid answers:
-have them hold up a black cat
-Have them wear a mask and put two LED keychain lights behind the eye holes

photoshop related answers:
-make 2 exposures , one with a flashlight on the face and one without (keeping the subject still) then take the eyes from the flashlight photo and place it over the dark face
-use lens glare filter for a fake demon glow
-use the paint brush to put in a spot of white or red or w/e (I suggest semi-transparent

No real easy way to approach this though.

Only ways I can think of involve photoshop or a stupid answer.

Stupid answers:
-have them hold up a black cat
-Have them wear a mask and put two LED keychain lights behind the eye holes

photoshop related answers:
-make 2 exposures , one with a flashlight on the face and one without (keeping the subject still) then take the eyes from the flashlight photo and place it over the dark face
-use lens glare filter for a fake demon glow
-use the paint brush to put in a spot of white or red or w/e (I suggest semi-transparent

No real easy way to approach this though.

i didnt think there was any way to actually do it really....i just wanted to make sure.....thanks for the answer

The only other way I can think of involves a multiple exposure shot. You would need to measure the exact angle and distance from the lense in the hallway shot and expose only the eyes and then expose the frame to the hallway. The place to make the first shot is in your darkroom as only the eyes can be exposed. You could use anything from a laser pointer shot through filters to a pair of those really expensive metal flashlights that focus to get the eyes.
I think the easiest way would be to just do the effect on the paper when you printed the shot. Shoot a frame of a well lit person looking at the camera from the place in the hallway you want the eyes to be and just shoot the hallwaay shot lit the way you want it. Take these two negatives to your enlarger and register them. Just put the eyes where you want them. Next step would be to set registration pins for your paper and golden rod. You will use a small piece of film that is taped to the goldenrod to cut out the eyes. . If the area you want the eyes to appear in is not totally dark you can make an exposure of your mask on litho film to use as a mask.

Easy. Take one shot, expose for the eyes. Take another shot, expose for everything else and silhouette them. Layer shot 2 over shot 1. Progressively erase the eyes out of shot 2 to reveal the bright ones.

Just trying to make suggestions. It's what they would have done in old horror movies before digital effects. You could always shoot it on film, and black out the eyes on the neg, or dodge the eyes in the darkroom.

If it's black and white film, you use color filters and have the filter color be the compliment of your average skin color, that way the skin is black, but the eyes are still white, unless they're crazy bloodshot.

You guys are making more work than necessary.

In a single shot:
Long exposure of about 10seconds, at what ever aperture will retain the desired shadowy effect.
Get a micro torch, the mini ones, and shine some light into the eyes.
Make sure that you keep moving the light around so it's not blocky and make sure you keep moving so that your figure isn't recorded solidly, but more as movement in the shadows.
Thats how I'd do it without any Post work involved, Very simple... eh :p

May I ask what you came to this idea?
Has any body told you to do such a scary scene or out of blue you decided to make such a scene.
I guess among all of these beauties all around us, how on earth you decided to have this strange scene?

You guys are making more work than necessary.

In a single shot:
Long exposure of about 10seconds, at what ever aperture will retain the desired shadowy effect.
Get a micro torch, the mini ones, and shine some light into the eyes.
Make sure that you keep moving the light around so it's not blocky and make sure you keep moving so that your figure isn't recorded solidly, but more as movement in the shadows.
Thats how I'd do it without any Post work involved, Very simple... eh :p

When I tried that I kept singeing the eyebrows.

Personally I go for the snoot and a spot of burning in.

May I ask what you came to this idea?
Has any body told you to do such a scary scene or out of blue you decided to make such a scene.
I guess among all of these beauties all around us, how on earth you decided to have this strange scene?
well i was letting my imagination run wild after i saw this cool pic where shadows silhouetted the girl and the darkness looked really nice.....so i tried to think of something original.... i didnt really expect to receive any real answers...

How much of their eyes are you going to see?
If they are not going to be close enough to see detail then there is nothing to stop you 'faking' it.
If their face is in shadow then you can use lights. Get two small torches. Get two table-tennis balls. Put some cuts in the balls and stick the lights inside. When you turn the torches on they should glow.
Next get a plain black mask like a domino that has eye shaped holes. Stick a glowing table-tennis ball behind each eye hole. Rig it so you can hold it in front of your face.
The effect should look pretty much like glowing eyes if you set it up and expose properly.

what iso should i use and should i use flash??

Most reactions

Back